What's new

Bolivar Belicosos Finos - a recount of a first taste of Cuba

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
As I was reminded at a herf on Saturday, I haven't done a review in a long time. Here's one from not too long ago. Sorry for the girly-ness.

This cigar was smoked on a brisk autumn day on my back porch near the northern edge of Baltimore City. The gun shots have slowed down, so it was likely safe to come out from cover.

Accompanied by my always faithful smoking buddy and bodyguard, Baronesss von haus Arnold a.k.a. Bess for short. She kept watch for would be intruders and disturbers of peace.

Now, onto business. The Bolivar Belicosos Finos is a torpedo shaped smoke, approximately 6.5" x 52 RG.

As you can see in the top pic, there was slight damage to the wrapper near the foot of the cigar, but nothing too concerning. As you can see, the wrapper is beautiful. A very light brown color, silky smooth to the touch, and very small veins.

The wrapper smelled of hay and light grass. The foot smelled like a barnyard. After giving her a nice squeeze, it could be easily noticed how nicely filled she was; The body was hard, but had a slight give.

The cap was cautiously clipped with a Xikar, which thankfully made a nice clean cut that didn't crack the near perfect wrapper. Pre-light draw was near perfect, a bit deliberate, but not too tight. Torpedos are great in that you can keep adjusting the draw by taking off more of the head of the cigar.
With the pre-light draw, a slight peppery taste was noticed. Tongue'ing the foot of the cigar produced a slight tingle and a red pepper taste.

She lit up rather nicely with a butane torch. Taking it slowly as to not singe the pretty wrapper, thinks progressed rather quickly from there.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Initial puff produced plumes of creamy thick smoke. Smoke rings were happy to dance in the air until the night breeze carried them away. The room (well porch) note was fairly pleasant but didn't linger too long.

Further puffs produced a startling find, ammonia! Was she displeased at being smoked too fast? Taking her lead, I set her down. Not too long later, I purged her of her evil ammonia and tried again. Ahhh! back to creamy heaven. She still must be a little resentful, as her burn was getting a bit crooked.

Reaching the 1/3rd point, homegirl started to get spicy! More of a black pepper spice with hints of the yummy cream tasted prior. My mouth and tongue seemed coated with this spice and cream combo in a most pleasing manner. Perpetually upset with me, her burn was still way off, and to add to it, I noticed a tunnel being formed. I can't let her escape!

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Giving her a little more time to cool down seemed to help out...along with a little bit of a relight. The creaminess soon returned as the dominant flavor. The spicy pepper lingered on my pallet, but not in the smoke.

Having the uneven burn under control, she throws another little thing at me. Her wrapper is cracking!
Giving her a little more time to cool down seemed to help out...along with a little bit of a relight. The creaminess soon returned as the dominant flavor. The spicy pepper lingered on my pallet, but not in the smoke.

Having the uneven burn under control, she throws another little thing at me. Her wrapper is cracking!
[IMG]http://www.mediamax.com/earnold25/Hosted/Boli%20Beli%20Fino%20-%20Evening%20out%20%20-%20Now%20Cracking.jpg
Being the gentleman I am, I simply ignore it. Besides, the creamy taste is strong as ever and keeping my temper well under control.

As all good things must come to an end, so should this love affair. Smoking it as far down to the nub as my fingers could handle, we parted ways and agreed to see each other sometime down the road.

I'll give her a 8.7. Nearly perfect, but having to fuss with her wrapper and burn issues didn't let me enjoy it the entire time. Selfish of me? Yes, but I don't care!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Nice review annd a GREAT cigar. I was gifted on e by CWS at the 07 Socal Herf and it was probably my favorite of all time. I have yet to have the pleasure of another, but someday I meet that lady again.

Jimmy2

City that never sleeps
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late 06 to present have made a huge comeback they have the strength and classic flavor as they did years ago.

Glad you enjoyed it and nice review.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
pics are working from my home pc...so i dunno what's goin on. sorry guys. you're better off though. the pics make me drool and wish i had another one of these :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great post!
I ve tasted this cigar just yesterday night.
very thick smoke, tasty cocoa flavor, very interesting for my first bolivar experience,
I think that Is ideal for seasonal smokers.
...and the pictures are working here.