What's new

Bolivar Corona

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for a short smoke for this evening, and being fond of corona-sized cigars, the Bolivar looked enticing laying in the humidor. A classic corona, it's sized at 43 ring by 5 1/2 inches.

Square-sided from box compression, the Bolivar has a medium colored wrapper and appears well made. This Cuban is a couple of years old, and the pre-light aroma is full of nut and coffee.

A bit of a tight draw at first, I had to work at it to get it well-lit. It opened up after the first half-inch, and began to draw easily. This is probably the MILDEST Cuban I've ever smoked, but it does have an enjoyable flavor. The predominate flavor is coffee, with just a touch of spice. Burn is perfectly even, and it produces a soft, dark-grey ash.

This might be a good one to introduce a newbie to Habanos with, but it's far too mild for a cigar smoker with an experienced palate. It simply never really develops beyond the initial flavor.

The best I can give this one under the official CIA rating system is a "3". It's not a bad smoke. Nor is it a great one. It's not the best thing in the box, but you're not ashamed to have a few of them around.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, don't get me wrong, guys. I didn't dislike it. And I'd love to try some more from the Boli line.

But in my admittedly limited experience with Cubans, the Corona wasn't quite what I expected. This is one that, if I had regular access to them, I'd likely keep around for things like a day at the golf course, or to introduce a novice cigar smoker to his/her first Habano.

MoTheMan

A herfin' herf.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
dgci said:
Square-sided from box compression, the Bolivar has a medium colored wrapper and appears well made. This Cuban is a couple of years old, and the pre-light aroma is full of nut and coffee.

A bit of a tight draw at first, I had to work at it to get it well-lit. It opened up after the first half-inch, and began to draw easily. This is probably the MILDEST Cuban I've ever smoked, but it does have an enjoyable flavor. The predominate flavor is coffee, with just a touch of spice. Burn is perfectly even, and it produces a soft, dark-grey ash.

This might be a good one to introduce a newbie to Habanos with, but it's far too mild for a cigar smoker with an experienced palate. It simply never really develops beyond the initial flavor.
Wow, I was really surprised to read this.
Your description of the cigar is right on, IMO, with different boxes I've seen. They're generally box pressed (square), have a good aroma, and are generally tight on the draw as you described.
BUT mild?! Wow. Never expected to hear that about a Boli. I've had some start out more medium, but near the end, they are STRONG, flavorful, complex little puppies. Hardly a newbie or golf course stick.

If you try another one & it affects you the same, just PM me, I'll send you some samples to try. :smt023

shatfield

Toast? Nope, Burnt!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I actually had a petite corona, and it was medium throughout until the end and it almost knocked me over. Mo, you're dead on with that, really potent at the end. Damn good, though.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have yet to smoke a boli I didn't like. I prefer stronger cigars, but every so often a mild smoke is in order for me. Thanks for the review, I may have to try some of these out someday.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well I'm with the boys above. Really surprised to hear that you thought the Boli was rather mild. I will have to say that the Bolivar brand might just be my favorite brand of cigars. I will admit that some from the line do start out a little on the mild side, but then they always go from there to a lot stronger finish. At least every Boli I've ever had have been that way, and as shatfield stated, I've had several that got stong enough at the end, that a less seasoned smoker would probably have wound up looking a little like they might need to lay down for a while.

shatfield

Toast? Nope, Burnt!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yeah, if I hadn't been nubbing it, and had quite a bit more to smoke, I might have been buzzing pretty good.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Just happened to grab one of these this morning when I left the house. I've had some other Bolis, but not this one. As far as the draw, you're right on the money - pretty tight, but mine never really opened up to where I considered it an enjoyable smoke. I thought the flavors were really good though. Maybe my palate is maturing a little, but this is one of the first smokes that I actually tasted what I thought was a chocolatey flavor (made me very excited - doesn't tgake much I guess -- lol)