What's new

Bolivar Coronas Gigantes ORE MAY 03

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this box not too long ago off and I've let the cigars rest in my humidor for about a month. I decided that this beautiful Halloween night would likely be my last opportunity to fire one up since I mostly smoke outside and it was in the lower 60s tonight in NJ.

I clipped this Julieta2 after admiring how smooth and beautiful the sienna wrapper was and took some prelight draws. I rarely get much out of this (though I keep trying) and that experience proved to be just as fruitless as most in the past were. However, upon toasting the foot and lighting up, I was greeted with an explosion of sweet earthy flavors. I noticed that it had a tough draw, but after working the cigar gently with my fingers, it opened right up and stayed that way for the duration of my 1 hour 45 minute experience.

The intial burst surprised me as most of the Double Coronas and Churchills that I have had lately have been very mild to start out with. The power of this cigar's opening was a welcome change from the status quo. The earthy flavors combined with sweet toasted tobacco flavors and a mild spice that slowly built in intensity throughout the smoke. As the burn continued, some subtle floral notes were detected that balanced well with the predominant earth tones. The Bolivar burned evenely, albeit somewhat more quickly than I expected, and behaved quite well. With approximately 2 and a half inches remaining, the strength really picked up as did the spice and a detectable black coffee flavor. With a little less than one inch left, I had to let it go, though it was a truly enjoyable and tasty cigar.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with this cigar. Before taking the plunge on a box my experience with this Bolivar was limited to one stick that I smoked almost 2 years ago. The experience was great and it really picked me up from what had been a crappy evening otherwise. MRN mentions the fact that he could smoke these everyday and be completely satisfied with them and I would have to echo his sentiment exactly. It is a perfect example of how good this vitola can be.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
These are my favorite bolivar and probably my favorite Cuban cigar. As you mention they are good as soon as you light them. A lot of cigars I have to smoke an inch or so down before they taste really good, not these. I've also found them to be very consistant and well constructed. As you and MRN mention, I think I could smoke these everyday as well.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Excellent review. This too is one of my favorites. The 03 was a very good year!

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
:drool: Not kidding, I started drooling like Homer Simpson thinking of a cold beer. I have never tried this size. I have one that was gifted last month in LI. I might fire one up soon as the cold will set in MD as well or have to wait until Spring.

Thanks for the nice through review, but at the same time did not lose me with large words and details that I can not relate to.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Dude, I love this cigar...so much in fact, I have a box that should deliver by Friday (earlier would also be nice)...I'm dying here man. Nice review, and it will guarantee that I smoke one off the truck!

I agree in totality with your review!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got this box, I thought it was going to last a long time simply by virtue of the fact that I rarely have time for a smoke this long. Well, this one was so good, I'll be making time for them in the future. So much for additional aging. Dem is gooda!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
These sounded so good I reached down into the depths of my cooler and pulled one out to smoke last night. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm