What's new

Bolivar Gold Medal

Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Additional Bolivar Gold Medal photography can be found at cigarphoto.net

It is time for another ‘forbidden fruit.’ This time we are photographing and smoking a La Casa del Habano release – Bolivar Gold Medal (2008 box). I call this specimen a ‘roller-coaster’ of cuban cigars. Its initial release was discontinued in 1992 but later resurfaced as an exclusive to Germany in 2004. Three years later, in 2007, it was reintroduced and made available via La Casa del Habano only to be discontinued once again in 2011. Perhaps we will see it again !

There aren’t that many cigars out on the market that can stand alone without the box packaging. Bolivar Gold Medal is one of those exceptions. Golden foil / La Casa del Habano band combination give this cuban cigar a striking christmas ornament look. Eye candy ! The cigar itself, visually, had an excellent construction. In fact, Gold Medal had much more elegant finish than highly praised and recently reviewed Cohiba Siglo VI. There were no visible veins nor seams. Exceptionally well rolled, with no soft spots and after clipping, perfect draw. In flavor department, initial experience presented hints of spice / black pepper and earthiness. Second/third thirds introduced an overwhelming amount of woodiness. The burn, although initially a bit wavy, ultimately corrected itself and did not need any manual intervention. Ash kept dropping off in ~1″ chunks.

Bolivar Gold Medal was a decent smoke. Not bad but nothing spectacular. Despite being highly rated in the strength department, I was pleased to find it to be medium/high at best. The cervantes vitola is a size that I would welcome in a non-cuban market any day. At the end, I was hoping for a bit more complexity and flavors but Bolivar Gold Medal, in my opinion, fell a bit short and did not deliver. I would recommend seeking a 5-pack but wouldn’t go crazy searching for a box(es). Obviously your mileage will vary.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Thanks for the review. I have never had any luck with these. Bought a box or two that were plugged and the rest were just decent.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
One of my favorite cigars, and I'm sad they're discontinued. Planning on picking up another couple boxes early next year if I can still get my hands on them.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I think the poor sales were due to:
1) they are at least $2 overpriced compared to other Bolivars
2) a lot of QC issues, especially with the draw

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I think the poor sales were due to:
1) they are at least $2 overpriced compared to other Bolivars
2) a lot of QC issues, especially with the draw
I think that most of the pricing issues were due to vendors. If I go by Havana pricing and these being $5.60 a stick it is right in line with what I think is should be. For me the qc issues were more on flavour then on draw I haven't had many with draw issues but have only smoked 4 or 5 boxes. That said I sent one to a well known member here when he was just getting into CC's and he hated it but figured if it came so highly recomended he would try another. Last I saw he was buying boxes of them and loved them.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My box has been wonderful. I have had 4 of the 10 that I received earlier this year. This is the only cigar that I can actually pick a hint of mint leave out. It is not prevalent, but it is a nice change. I am in love with these.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks for feedback, guys !

Interesting indeed. I had no draw issue in few that I've smoked. I have smoked few singles and opened 2008 box (depicted above) for the review. All smoked the same. Great construction, draw, ash, etc. Flavor, meh. Few days ago I had H.U Mag50 and I simply loved it.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I guess we get them from different vendors because the are overpriced where I usually shop!

/ Ben Bockbrännarbolmers

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Love this cigar. Plugged from time to time but worth the purchase. Multi-box discounts are the way to go.