What's new

Boom Box Review

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I've been looking for some cigar related items that I could use as decoration around the office... I've thought about lamps, tables, etc.. but lack the skills to do something nice enough myself.. and was really looking for something a little more subtle...

then I saw this thread:

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php/68949-ISO-Larger-wooden-cigar-boxes

and thought something like this would be perfect... so I reached out to Jay to see if he could possibly fit all the necessary compenents into a LP #9 box I had laying around...

We kicked several PM's back and forth.. discussing options... pricing.. turn around time.. etc... Jay was extremely responsive every step of the way.. and very helpful...

Long story short.. I decided to take the plunge.. and ordered a "Boom Box"... I supplied the "box"... and some of the "boom" (I had some bose speakers on hand that werent being used).. Jay supplied the rest.. as well as all of the craftmanship and the labor..

I can not tell you how pleased I am with the results... the craftmanship is well beyond my expectations.. both visually.. and functionally (this thing is built like a tank...)... the sound quality is excellent (both loud.. and clear).. its exactly the sort of thing I was looking for..

communication through the entire process was perfect.. Jay sent pictures at several times during the build process to make sure I was happy with the direction he was taking on the box.. got the job done quickly.. and had it shipped back to me as a completed project within a matter of days...

If youre looking for an alternative to your typical MP3 player/ipod dock/soundwave type device... this is (IMO) an excellent option.. high grade system quality.. with unique visual appeal (cigar related)... at a mid grade system price..

I paid about $200 for a JVC system a couple of years ago... and about the same amount for a Bose Sounddock when they were first released... This system sounds every bit as good (again, IMO.. Im no pro..).. and brings twice the number of "cool" points...

I'm really happy with the purchase...

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
MDWest,

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it. I am happy to hear that you are pleased with the stereo, it looks great on your desk.
Please keep me in mind if you ever need another custom stereo, I can build multi-piece component systems as well as desktop/boomboxes.

I just finished this three piece Tatuaje system for a friend.

Enjoy the system,
Jay (Okcsmoker's Father)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those speakers look great! I think most repurposed cigar box projects look tacky, but these retain a sense of craftsmanship and style. Well done, Jay!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thank you Curtis.
I make a real effort to retain as much of the box's character as possible, I respect the artistic detail and craftsmanship that goes into making these boxes.
Jay (Okcsmoker's father)

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
KK33,
It usually takes me two days to build a "boombox" type system and three days to build a three piece system. If painting, staining, and/or poly sealing are involved, that sometimes adds a day.
I believe it took me three days to do mdwest's box, but I spent almost one whole day on the speaker cover (details below). I also took the time to take pictures along they way and post a couple of updates.

-----------------------------------
The cover was made by cutting a rectangle of 1/4" plywood, then cutting out openings for the speakers. Next I sanded and spray painted the wooden frame and let it dry. I placed the fame face down on my fabric, folded the fabric over the frame and poked holes in the fabric flaps folded over the back. I then unfolded the fabric back out flat and put a bead of glue around the back of the frame. Next I folded the fabric back over the frame, put wires through opposing holes and tightened them. This stretched the fabric nice and tight across the frame, think of a tom-tom drum. I applied glue through the fabric to the back of the frame about 5 times over a seven hour period and let it do the final dry overnight. Lastly I removed the wires, trimmed off the flaps and mounted the frame to the box, simple. :)
-----------------------------------

So, really only a couple days to get this done? About how many days total? Curious me...
KK33

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Thx bro. I might be interested in the future for a left and right with Tatuaje Black boxes. I think that would look sweet.

-KK33-

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
You may want to keep your eyes out for the boxes, just in case. I do not have any, in fact I do not believe I have ever seen one.
Jay

Thx bro. I might be interested in the future for a left and right with Tatuaje Black boxes. I think that would look sweet.

-KK33-
If you decide you want one of these... I'm pretty sure someone here can help source whatever box you want/need Doug...

Just post an ISO.. I'm guessing there are plenty of people here that would be more than happy to send something your way ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free