What's new

Boss Bands

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well, so that experiment was an utter failure.
Stole the idea of an embosser from a guy on a forum. Bought this:

The hat is for scale. The Deejo is incorrigibles in the prop dept. acting out again.
The pattern to be embossed is the name of my business:

I thought I could emboss a bit of leaf, then use that bit as my cigar flag.
Or else, emboss the wrapper itself, so that the logo might spiral up the body.

Dumb idea. The embossed leaf collapses back on itself, so that the result is so subtle that even if you know it's there you still can't make it out:

Then I tried a foil oval:
Embosses sharp as hell, but I dunno, foil don't seem to fit the theme.

Might have to get to the dollar store and hunt up a different material.

This embosser doodad is mighty good quality for the money, and it was shipped out next day after order. Good job, I say.

Open to ideas how to use it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
View attachment 160460

The hat is for scale. The Deejo is incorrigibles in the prop dept. acting out again.
View attachment 160461

Dumb idea. The embossed leaf collapses back on itself, so that the result is so subtle that even if you know it's there you still can't make it out:
View attachment 160462

View attachment 160463

This embosser doodad is mighty good quality for the money, and it was shipped out next day after order. Good job, I say.

Too bad the leaf idea failed.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
What happens if you put both the leaf and foil in together? Embossing them simultaneously....will the foil give the leaf the needed support to standout?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I got a roll of "foil" wrapping paper from the dollar store. Guess what, a buck. It's not actually foil, despite what the Chinese print on the label. It's some kinda sparkly mylar. But it works for this purpose. Could not find any real colored foil there. Just this sparkly stuff. May have to keep looking.

Unfortunately, mylar kills the idea of embossing a bit of wrapper such that the logo spirals up the side; cause I doubt that toking biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate would in any way either enhance my blend or improve my health (tho, who knows, I might get high on it. Nor would foil promote an even burn. But it makes a wide flag a possibility, long as I do not nub it too hard. Or I could make a cap/flag that you remove.

Here's the batch of pigtailed sticks on the left, setting in the drybox waiting on caps and flags:

Wait a minute! FX Smith's Sons has some of that old homogenized binder. Lemme give 'em a call...

The shipping gal is gonna send me some by mail today. That would be ideal backing, if it works. The embossed logo spiraling up the side is an idea worth fooling round to get right. May have to apply a second wrap to make it happen on these sticks; or could save the idea for the next batch. Prolly do that.

95% of FXSS's cigar line uses natural leaf binders. But there are customers who have to smoke on a budget, and the homogenized binder saves them a few pennies. I have smoked their White Orchids just for the halibut, and I kinda like the taste of them. AFAIK there's no glue in it. It's just scraps pulped up and extruded between rollers. Kind of an Indo flavor. So it should burn and taste just fine.

I'm excited.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
View attachment 160514

I got a roll of "foil" wrapping paper from the dollar store. Guess what, a buck. It's not actually foil, despite what the Chinese print on the label. It's some kinda sparkly mylar. But it works for this purpose. Could not find any real colored foil there. Just this sparkly stuff. May have to keep looking.

Unfortunately, mylar kills the idea of embossing a bit of wrapper such that the logo spirals up the side; cause I doubt that toking biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate would in any way either enhance my blend or improve my health (tho, who knows, I might get high on it. Nor would foil promote an even burn. But it makes a wide flag a possibility, long as I do not nub it too hard. Or I could make a cap/flag that you remove.

Here's the batch of pigtailed sticks on the left, setting in the drybox waiting on caps and flags:
View attachment 160515

Wait a minute! FX Smith's Sons has some of that old homogenized binder. Lemme give 'em a call...

The shipping gal is gonna send me some by mail today. That would be ideal backing, if it works. The embossed logo spiraling up the side is an idea worth fooling round to get right. May have to apply a second wrap to make it happen on these sticks; or could save the idea for the next batch. Prolly do that.

95% of FXSS's cigar line uses natural leaf binders. But there are customers who have to smoke on a budget, and the homogenized binder saves them a few pennies. I have smoked their White Orchids just for the halibut, and I kinda like the taste of them. AFAIK there's no glue in it. It's just scraps pulped up and extruded between rollers. Kind of an Indo flavor. So it should burn and taste just fine.

I'm excited.
That's really neat! Can't wait to see how this project unfolds.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That mylar "foil" unstuck from the leaf.
Turns out Craig threw out all his homogenized wrapper when they moved the factory to the DR.
So, back to the drawing board.
Going to Staples today to source some thick paper.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 160460

View attachment 160461

View attachment 160462

View attachment 160463

That guy would be me! Those bands are coming along, I'm glad you liked the idea of the handheld embosser and I never thought about trying to emboss the leaf itself.

Here is a gold foil band I made, it's embossed from a peel and stick foil label sheet. I find the thinner the material to be better (as long as it doesn't rip through when pressing).

Pretty solid definition if you ask me.

Here is a variety of different foil and misc. bands, I bought a book of various sheets from a craft store.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That guy would be me! Those bands are coming along, I'm glad you liked the idea of the handheld embosser and I never thought about trying to emboss the leaf itself.

Here is a gold foil band I made, it's embossed from a peel and stick foil label sheet. I find the thinner the material to be better (as long as it doesn't rip through when pressing).
View attachment 160885View attachment 160886

Pretty solid definition if you ask me.

Here is a variety of different foil and misc. bands, I bought a book of various sheets from a craft store.
View attachment 160887

That' so damn nice!

Still trying different leaf & arrangements.
Hope fading.

Last edited: