BOTL Blind review cigar No.3 Updated

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Romeo Y Julieta Short Churchill- Date unknown

Reviewer No.1

Beverage: Thomas Kemper root beer

Appearance: This cigar measured out as a 48RG by 4 7/8th's on my cigar solutions guide. It has a nice meduim brown leather smooth feeling wrapper. With a couple of very minor veins and is rolled on the round.

Cut: Plugged this cigar and a nice 1/4'' cigarette size hole was made. The tobacco in the cigar was very soft and spongy, which makes me think this cigar is fairly young.

Pre light draw: This cigar draws well and has a very clean tobacco taste to it.

1/3: Tourched this cigar up and I get some nice sweet floral flavors with toastyness right off the bat. The toasy flavor is really good. I've seen reviews that mention toasty. But it's more of a burnt toast, this is the best toasty flavor I've ever had. Strength and flavor are meduim I would say. Ash is a dark grey and it wants to burn uneven.

2/3: The sweet floral like flavor of this cigar is fading and has been replaced with a light citrus flavor to go along with that great toasty flavor. Unfortunatly the cigar wrapper needs to be re-lit several times so far as the cigar just wants to burn down the center.

3/3: The cigar stayed toasty all the way down and now I detect some sweet creamy coffee notes as well. I would say it has mellowed out towards the lighter side of meduim in strength and body. Never could get a good 1'' ash as it was flakey and needed to be re-lit.

Score: I give this cigar a score of 88.

Final Thoughts: This is a very good clean tasting cigar that I would like to add to my rotation, when I'm not in the mood for a powerhouse or want a good morning smoke. The flavors were excellent. If it were not for the re-light issues this cigar would have scored in the 90's easily.

Reviewer No.2

#3 2/8/2010

Prelight
Leathery wrapper, nice triple cap. Predraw tastes of sweet tobacco.
The draw is extremely loose.

First Third
This cigar lit nicely, and provided ample smoke. A background of deep, rich earth, with notes of coffee, toasted almonds, and a hint of molasses. Nice lemon and cedar finish. Very full yet smooth.
The cigar burned well despite the very loose draw.

Second Third
Just after the second third, the profile lightened up considerably and became floral. The previous notes from the beginning remained, but were subdued as floral, strawberry notes washed over the entire flavor profile. Shortly after this change, the excessively loose draw began to catch up with the cigar…The burn line lagged behind, and needed the torch to catch up. Most of the second third was spent babying the cigar and correcting the erratic burn.

Last Third
Although the draw remained loose causing the cigar to burn hot and irregular, it still managed to present some fantastic flavors. The stronger profile returned….Rich earth and dark roasted coffee beans played background to charcoal, baker’s chocolate, and cinnamon. The finish was slightly sweet and tangy like pineapple. The nicotine build was strong and gave up that Cuban ‘twang’.

Closing
The suspect construction and resulting loose draw really took the wind out of this cigar’s sails, especially during the second third. The flavors before and after were great and very enjoyable, despite the need to babysit the burn. There was just too much air flowing through this cigar for it to burn cool and produce it’s full potential…Even so, it was very enjoyable.

Score: 85/100

Reviewer No.3

I didn’t have a chance to have a cigar on my birthday, so I went to my local B & M to have a couple cigars. This was the first one of the evening for me (I saved my Sir Winston for my second cigar!) and I paired the cigar with a very nice tawny port, Warre’s. The cigar had a bit of a lumpy appearance, but it was supple to the touch. I quickly pulled out my cutter and fired up the cigar to hopefully overcome the nasty smell from the cigar of one of the other patrons. I don’t know what he was smoking, but it smelled just awful! Thankfully, my cigar gave a lot of smoke and it overpowered the other guy’s cigar.

Appearance: This cigar had a dark olive colored wrapper. The size of the cigar was a robusto. As I looked over the cigar I noted one fairly large vein running down the length of the cigar. I noticed a couple spots near the cap. The wrapper felt oily and leathery. The cap was fairly well done but had an odd looking lump on the top.
Draw: The pre light draw was a touch on the loose side, but not too loose. I had no trouble getting a large amount of smoke while smoking the cigar.
Flavor: My initial impression of the cigar was a woody flavor with some cedar notes. It also had bean and sweet honey like flavors. The longer I smoked the cigar the woody flavors became more and more prominent. When I got to the last third, the taste got a on the bitter side. I purged the cigar and that helped a lot.
Burn: The burn on the cigar was not good at all. I was constantly correcting the burn. I kept getting these u shaped depressions in the burn. It was very distracting to constantly have to correct the burn. The ash was dark gray and flaky. It held together fairly well, but it was not very attractive.
Appearance 17/20
Ash 9/10
Draw 10/10
Smoke 10/10
Flavor 18/20
Finish 18/20
Burn 6/10
Overall score:88
Final thoughts: I thought the appearance of the cigar was good but not great. It had a very good draw and body of smoke. The flavor profile seemed to me to be that of Romeo y Julieta, so my guess is that it was a Short Churchill.

Reviewer No.4

Out sick. Will add review when received

Reviewer No.5

The best looking smoke of the bunch so far. Dark brown wrapper with a nice three seam cap.
Drink - Diet Coke
Pre light draw was a little sweet with spice.
Put the torch to it and started off with a sweet, creamy character. Burn was a bit uneven with a decent amount of smoke. Construction was a little soft.
2nd third started canoeing and it took some work to correct with the lighter. Tasty honey undertones and the creamy profile continued.
I got the burn corrected and the final third stayed consistent with tobacco, light spice and some gum on the finish.

Overall, medium body and a good cigar with excellent aroma and a fair amount of smoke. Some burn and construction issues brought down the score. I give it an 86.
Guess - HDM Epi 2

Reviewer No.6

Cigar # 3

Enjoyed this cigar while sipping on a glass of Buffalo Trace. Nice oily wrapper with minor veining. I noted a small crack on the head, but this easily was corrected after cutting. Pre-light hints of leather, cedar, a slight citrus and a sweetness were present.

I toasted this cigar, which immediately took off, emitting a large amount of smoke. The sweetness, leather and a light coffee taste came to light. I noticed the draw was a little more restricted that I preferred. I used my Old Henry Draw tool to ease the draw a bit, which helped but not completely.

The second third continued with the restricted draw, but still had good flavors. This cigar had a difficult time staying lit though and a minor burn issue.

The final third still continued with the burn issue. The sweetnees shined through more on this cigar though. I was able to get through the entire cigar and enjoyed the flavor.

Overall, I liked the flavor, but the burn and draw issue were a pain. I rate this one as a 80/100

Last edited:

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
So far this has been a lot of fun.

I want to "publicly" thank Kirk for taking the unspoken time, energy and patience to make this all possible.

Great job, brotha!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Fun reviews! I want to do one of these someday. Lots of similar thoughts among the reviewers.

$1000 says "Reviewer #2" is Whoodeni, lol

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Thanks Clint

I've always enjoyed reading reviews and really like to read group blind reviews like these. Hopefully everyone does as well and we can do some more in the future.

While I have only smoked a few of them. I must say that this is the best RyJ Short Churchill I've ever smoked. Like I posted in my review it's just too bad it had burn issues. Looks like the rest reviewers had the same problem as well.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I've only had one Short Churchill, while on vacation last fall, and it was very nice. I could see smoking those in the morning pretty frequently