What's new

BOTL Illinois Chapter Herf/Meetup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BOTL Illinois Chapter will be holding a impromptu get together on Sunday August 25th 3pm at Tesa Cigar Company 1039 W Lake St, Chicago. Tesa is a BYOB.

Hope to see everyone on Sunday August 25 3pm

Keep it smokey!!!

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
The BOTL Illinois Chapter will be holding a impromptu get together on Sunday August 25th 3pm at Tesa Cigar Company 1039 W Lake St, Chicago. Tesa is a BYOB.

Hope to see on Sunday August 25 3pm

Keep it smokey!!!
I'll check with the wife and see if I can go! Thanks...

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
What is this BOTL Chapter stuff.....nothing that I have seen created by Eric. Seems like someone is using a Trademark that isn't theirs.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I don't think BOTL is a trademark. I believe it's just a term. Although BOTL does not have official chapters. I believe it's just a meet up of like minded folks.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I have seen it for a long time used by cigar smokers. It may be trademarked but it is pretty much common term. Which can get interesting in its own right by law. This could be a whole separate thread.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I have seen it for a long time used by cigar smokers. It may be trademarked but it is pretty much common term. Which can get interesting in its own right by law. This could be a whole separate thread.
so I can use Coke, cause that's pretty much a common term?

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Go right ahead man... I'm not arguing just saying. Coke is a whole other debate since it's a brand. This could just be a tricky situation. Did the term BOTL originally come from this group? I am just curious.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Well, Hoshy, I bring it up, because clearly it is being used by someone without permission. It was even mentioned on Facebook that BOTL does not promote any of the multiple "Chapters" that have appeared.

Also, the OP has shown in his intro thread that he created this "Chapter" and came here to help build the numbers of that group. I have even seen a picture referencing sponsorship....hope he isn't using the BOTL Trademark to get money for his group.

Seems like this meetup is a membership drive. At least that's what I see going on.

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
I'm not a TM attorney but I'll say this much....

Saying Coke is a brand and botl.org is not a brand is incorrect. botl is just as much a brand, just not in a physical sense. That's like saying iTunes is not a brand because it doesn't have a physical thing associated to it.

Also, when the term originated is not really important. It is who went to the trouble and expense to actually trademark the item coupled with the fact that an organization was created after that point using that name. And an organization that appears to be trying to make money while using that trademark. Remember when "Superbowl" used to be used openly and freely? And now it's TM'd so you see ads for "the big game" instead because of that.

Again, I do not speak for Eric, but I suggest the folks involved rethink this or at least engage Eric.

Good luck with the group!

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks for the input. We should quit hijacking though and maybe make a new thread. Good luck with the meeting guys. ;) I want pics.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
There have been BOTL chapters for years and the term has been used by cigar manufacturers and bloggers on social media for years as well. This is certainly not the first time it's been used or heard outside of here.

Fin.

How was the Saturdays turnout?

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
FTR, we are not associated with, nor endorse any kind of "BOTL (city/state) Chapter". The brotherhood is not limited by geographical bounds.
The response (above) that I posted on Facebook and Twitter was in direct response to this thread.

I find it disingenuous and deceiving to use BOTL (as in actually posting it HERE) to falsely promote a BOTL "chapter" that has nothing to do with our community.

Status
Not open for further replies.