What's new

BOTL Poker Tournament for Charity.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK, this might be a bit long, but please read through it.

This comes directly from the other Poker thread active right now. In that thread I floated the idea of an online, BOTL Poker tournament in which you would sign up through my [url="http://outkicked.blogspot.com/"]blog[/url] to play on Pacific Poker. Signing up through my blog gives me a nice little kickback from Pacific. Said kickback would be used for two things: a box of smokes to be awarded to someone in the tournament...maybe the winner, maybe the guy who kicks me out, haven't decided yet, but to be awareded none-the less; and the bulk to be directed to a very worthy charity. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

As most of you already know, my Mother in Law was diagnosed with AML a while back. She's been through Chemo, remission, the disease coming back, and now a Bone Marrow Transplant (for more read here...long thread, but has the background). Everything is going very well, but we still have a long road ahead of us. And that little metaphor leads me quite well into Team in Traning, which is the L&LS's fund raising branch. The wife and I signed up last year and walked a half-marathon in February of this year. It sucked, but we raised about $3K for the L&LS. It's gonna suck again this year (I HATE WALKING/RUNNING!), but we plan on raising even more money and the picture of me sweating and cursing for 13.5 miles or so is the least I can give to those donating. :hysterica

So, here's what I'm getting at. I need at least 10 folks who are not members of Pacific already, who are interested in playing and helping out the L&LS at the same time. You can still participate if you already are a member at Pacific, but I'll request that you make a donation directly to our Team in Training website at somepoint to make up for the lost donation "from" pacific :)wink:). No dollar amount specified, just whatever you feel comfortable with.

The Tournament will be approximately a $20 buy-in. I want to keep it fairly inexpensive, it's for charity after all and who really cares about the winnings?:scratchhe :wink: I tried to do this last year where the winnings from the tourney were the donation, but Pacific can't seem to get their heads around that one, so some lucky 3 people will actually win a bit of money, wich is never a bad thing, right?
It will be a Texas Hold'em NL tourney to make it easy on everyone. I'm sure everyone knows enough about the game to play with the explosion of the WSOP on ESPN over the past couple years.

So far, from my other thread, I have the following people who have expressed interest:
Wasch_24
Ashy
Tedski
Hambo
Halon (Pacific member already)
Tubaman

That puts me at 4 new members. I need at least 6 more to make this happen. It's for a wonderful cause and you'll be helping to at least make the fundraising portion of this whole half-marathon thingy realatively painless.:hysterica

What say the brotherhood?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Very cool! Did I miss you from the original thread? If so I'm sorry about that! Come on folks...good cause, good fun, and sure to be GOOD SMOKES! :thumbsup:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Thanks to Allan for letting me know my links weren't even working! Duh! They are fixed now. So, Allan, gonna play? :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I don't know jack shit about cards...and online is even scarier, but i'll think about it...can we smoke cigars while we play?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Nya Nya Nya...I can smoke inside and you can't :p

you'll have to explain to me how I do this...Can we practice for free? I sort of remember what beats what....

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
We are at 5 confirmed so far. If Allan decides to jump in that makes six people...I still need 4 at least, preferably a couple more to make a run at this folks(speaking only of folks who aren't already Pacific members). For anyone worried about the $$ part of the whole thing...well...without giving too much away, let's just say that Pacific is unique among most Poker Sites in that you can easily make this a "revenue-neutral" situation.:eyebrow: I'm not going to explain further on an open board, but I'll be happy to tell you more via pm or email.

:thumbsup:

Jason

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Well, feel kind of silly bumping this as it's still at the top of the forum, but I still need more folks. So just in case you missed it...:wink: