What's new

BOURBON TALK

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I have to say pappy is not overrated. But the machine has made it mythical, overpriced and unobtainable. It's rating is correct. it's very good and very complex and easily savored. I prefer the 20. My favorite bourbon Is still GTS tho.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
my contribution...I like bourbon in my manhattans. Specifically I like Canadian Club Classic 12 yr. It's tough to find here in PA, but I've got my sources. I liken it to RC Cola, in that RC is the perfect blend of Coke and Pepsi...not too sweat like pepsi but a little sweater than coke. CC 12 yr is right in the middle of Maker's Mark and Crown Royal. Has the depth of a maker's mark, but the sweetness of a Crown royal...which isn't much. Mixed with the perfect amount of vermouth and bitters and one of those fancy luxardo cherries and it's heaven!!!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
my contribution...I like bourbon in my manhattans. Specifically I like Canadian Club Classic 12 yr. It's tough to find here in PA, but I've got my sources. I liken it to RC Cola, in that RC is the perfect blend of Coke and Pepsi...not too sweat like pepsi but a little sweater than coke. CC 12 yr is right in the middle of Maker's Mark and Crown Royal. Has the depth of a maker's mark, but the sweetness of a Crown royal...which isn't much. Mixed with the perfect amount of vermouth and bitters and one of those fancy luxardo cherries and it's heaven!!!
I don't mean to be that guy, but I'm legitimately curious: do you know CC and Crown Royal are not bourbon?

To contribute to the other end of the discussion: my tastes in bourbon are pretty eclectic. I have no problem grabbing a Wild Turkey on the rocks when out and about, or when my only goal for the night is to get lit. I savor Russel's Reserve and Noah's Mill.
I've had Pappy, once. I think it was the 12 year, and it was like a finger's worth since the restaurant was tapped out. It was quite good. But, I have a huge hangup chasing after some of the more expensive bourbons when there's ones I really enjoy available at like 50 bucks or less.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My buddy's been trying to sell me on bourbon for quite some time now. I am a scotch drinker whose finally figured out what I like and don't. Entering yet another world of options is just too much for me. What's good in the $50-$70 range?

Edit: I now hear my wife's voice, "let's try to keep costs under control ok Andy?" Sooo what's good in 40-60 range? lol.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Lol 40-60? Grab a bottle of buffalo trace at $25 that's a good starting point. Elijah craig and bulleit are also inexpensive 40-60 will get you a vat (1.75l) of either of the 3.