What's new

Bourbon Thread!

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I wanted to make a thread separate from the Today's Bourbon thread for the purpose of asking questions, looking for recommendations, etc. Figured it would be easier to reference that way.

To start...for my next purchase, I was considering Old Forester 1910 or 1920. Anyone tried these?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great idea! Been looking to pick up another bottle or 2 to try to round out some flavors. I have my Woodford double oaked and just picked up a Sazerac rye today. Only had a few ryes and so far have enjoyed them all. My goal is a variety of flavors between bottles, for me it’s tough to pick up a bottle that tastes pretty similar to what I already have. Always open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My goal is a variety of flavors between bottles, for me it’s tough to pick up a bottle that tastes pretty similar to what I already have. Always open to suggestions if anyone has any.
That's the exact same thing I'm going for. Trying to cast a wide net. I am kinda going for three open bottles at a time: one wheated, one high-proof, and one plain old 90-100 proof.

So far I can strongly recommend:

1) Wilderness Trail Yellow Label
2) Bulleit Wheated
3) Knob Creek Single Barrel 9 Yr
4) TX Blended Whiskey (if you're into lower proof, almost desserty stuff)

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
To start...for my next purchase, I was considering Old Forester 1910 or 1920. Anyone tried these?
Old Forester has been my jam lately. Both 1910, and 1920 are their best offerings, and I try to stay stocked on both.
1910 is toasted, and delicious at 93 proof. 1920 is a flavor bomb with a decent punch at 115 proof. My recommendation is get both.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Old Forester has been my jam lately. Both 1910, and 1920 are their best offerings, and I try to stay stocked on both.
1910 is toasted, and delicious at 93 proof. 1920 is a flavor bomb with a decent punch at 115 proof. My recommendation is get both.
Thanks! There's still empty room in the cabinet. :cool:

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They didn't have the 1920 when I swung by, so I grabbed a bottle of 1910. We shall see! My original intent was "just to look" but we all know how that goes...

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
They didn't have the 1920 when I swung by, so I grabbed a bottle of 1910. We shall see! My original intent was "just to look" but we all know how that goes...
Hope you enjoy it Carlos. It's a bit light for my palate but you might dig it. I know I like the higher proof Old Forester stuff (1920, Barrel Strength...)

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Forgot I started this thread but figured it would be a good place to show my early Father's Day gift. Super stoked about this beautiful piece of work. Though, much to my dear wife's chagrin...just LOOK at all that empty space waiting to be filled with new bottles. :D

High proofers, primo bottles, and open bottles on top. Low proofers on bottom.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Forgot I started this thread but figured it would be a good place to show my early Father's Day gift. Super stoked about this beautiful piece of work. Though, much to my dear wife's chagrin...just LOOK at all that empty space waiting to be filled with new bottles. :D

High proofers, primo bottles, and open bottles on top. Low proofers on bottom.

View attachment 172807

View attachment 172808
Color changing LED lights too! Damn bro, that thing is sweet!!!:cool:(y)

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Finally got the 2022-01 Booker's, had to buy it from a friend of a friend because it still hasn't hit Chicago. I'll probably open it up in the next couple days.

A couple pours last night watching the Colorado -Tampon Bay game. my new NBC pick and my 137 proof EC Pribate Barrel.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bourbon thoughts: Much like cigars, if I read a review wherein the reviewer cites ridiculously super-specific flavor notes...I disregard that reviewer as pretentious.

I understand picking up directional notes such as: chocolate, caramel, oak, orange, peanut, molasses, cinnamon, mint, etc. But you're just gonna make me laugh if you talk about "whipped chocolate cake frosting, Granny Smith apple peels, three red M&Ms served atop a scoop of partially thawed low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt" or somesuch.

Could also be my palate just isn't that refined though. :D

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Bourbon thoughts: Much like cigars, if I read a review wherein the reviewer cites ridiculously super-specific flavor notes...I disregard that reviewer as pretentious.

I understand picking up directional notes such as: chocolate, caramel, oak, orange, peanut, molasses, cinnamon, mint, etc. But you're just gonna make me laugh if you talk about "whipped chocolate cake frosting, Granny Smith apple peels, three red M&Ms served atop a scoop of partially thawed low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt" or somesuch.

Could also be my palate just isn't that refined though. :D
No, when "reviewers" list 37 different flavors they picked up on in a single cigar or whiskey, my bullshit meter goes berserk. Super specific as well, the old Madagascar vanilla cliche.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Stopped into the bar that my GF worked at the last 5 years, their last day was over a week ago but we popped in and had a last drink with the owner. She plans to work a night or 2 a week when he opens his new joint in September.

Some Barrell Batch 28 (IYKYK) after we got home.