What's new

Boutique vs. Big Brand

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I can't say I prefer one of the other. I love Tat, Illusione, and Curivari but I also enjoy a good Padron, Fuente, Drew Estate and probably smoke about even between the 2. The nice thing is there is so much out there.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i prefer good cigars made by people who care, that match my palate and mood.

seriously, most of the big two (altadis and general) leave me flat. then again, they do pull one off now and again: love the vega fina sumum, and still have a few partagas benji majestuosos.

end of the day, i treasure limited's(opi, liga, monsters), but fall in love with good regular productions (magnumR & hemingways, undercrown, 7th and fausto). show your style on the every day, you get my cash when you kick it up.

EDIT: btw, good question! kinda broad, but good. o)

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Hard to pick with such a broad question. There are a number of highly-produced, big name smokes that I love. Then there are companies like Warped who I root for more than anybody... not only are they relatively unknown and a fantastic product, they represent what I wish the entire industry was.

Kidrock

Smoking 50RG Less W/Farai
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Curivari is a brand that blows almost all brands out of the water..imo Tatuaje and Epernay are medium size brands I love. General + Altadis= Pure Junk.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Curivari is a brand that blows almost all brands out of the water..imo Tatuaje and Epernay are medium size brands I love. General + Altadis= Pure Junk.
^^^^^^^^^yes^^^^^^^
As a very general statement, I feel that boutique cigar manufactures have better cigars cause there the "underdogs" with something to prove. You can tell the care. Some major companies have it, but I prefer boutique.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Almost 50/50 but altadis has hand in some of the greatest recent production cigars I have smoked so really hard to say there is anything wrong with them. For those that say altadis is crap remember they are massive and you just may be missing the good sticks.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Well everyone is focusing on Altadis or General as the big names...... but what about Padron, Fuente, Torano, etc...? Also... at what point do these "boutique" brands just start being recognized as main stream? Are Tatuaje and Drew Estate still boutique? What defines boutique then?
These questions were going through my mind as well. :dunno: I like what I like.

Dan

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
^^^^What he said^^^^
However I do mainly smoke Tat's, Liga's, DPG and family the most. I will try other brands if they get good ratings here...Boutique or not.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
i prefer good cigars made by people who care, that match my palate and mood.

seriously, most of the big two (altadis and general) leave me flat. then again, they do pull one off now and again ...

end of the day, i treasure limited's(opi, liga, monsters), but fall in love with good regular productions (magnumR & hemingways, undercrown, 7th and fausto). show your style on the every day, you get my cash when you kick it
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have really gotten into boutique brands recently. I like the close attention they seem to pay to the product. I have even received hand-written thank you notes from the owners of a couple of brands (e.g. 262 Cigars).

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I let my own "tastes" tell me what is good. In this day and age advertising is what sends the message to others as to what they "should" like instead of letting us tailor our own tastes as to what we like. It's a good idea to expand your experience by trying private labels....as there are some amazing cigars out there that aren't advertised in the mainstream...don't limit yourself to Boutique brands.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Good question. For my part I like to seek out different cigars that have potential... Some are from big producers, some boutique and some are house brands. Being open minded helps make sure I don't miss something that I might really like.

One caveat though; I've found that the really big producers (general and Altadis) can do very well in the mild to med-full range sometimes (Benji special, VF Sumum) but they can't seem to produce the complex full bodied smokes the small makers do so I tend to avoid their attempts in the "full" category.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Good question. For my part I like to seek out different cigars that have potential... Some are from big producers, some boutique and some are house brands. Being open minded helps make sure I don't miss something that I might really like.

One caveat though; I've found that the really big producers (general and Altadis) can do very well in the mild to med-full range sometimes (Benji special, VF Sumum) but they can't seem to produce the complex full bodied smokes the small makers do so I tend to avoid their attempts in the "full" category.
I have to completely agree with this, well said, John.

Wonder where CC's fall into this category? Are they the ultimate "Big Producer", since they are all owned and ran in essence by the country, or are they considered a "boutique" in the states because they are considered harder to get? (Which they aren't.)

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Wonder where CC's fall into this category? Are they the ultimate "Big Producer", since they are all owned and ran in essence by the country, or are they considered a "boutique" in the states because they are considered harder to get? (Which they aren't.)[/QUOTE]

Good question. The ones I've had have been so good I've never thought about it!

thebayratt

Satori's Dad "NTA_Shawn"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I smoke more boutique lines than anything. 7-20-4, Curivari, Cromagnon, Paul Stulac, Viaje, 262 etc...
Most Altadis cigars are not worth the price. A few Generals are ok; Hoya Dark Knights, Dark Sumatra, Punch Rare Corojo 10th.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I clearly favor the boutique brands. I'm almost embarassed to admit I've smoked very few big brand cigars. A few RyJ, a few Padrons...thats mostly it. Its honestly harder to find and point point whats good coming from the big brands.