What's new

boveda question

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ok...... So for a week I have had the 65% boveda pack in a tupperware container with two hygrometers to see how off they are. The container is about half the size of a humi, but I didn't think it would matter. Would it??

So the first thing I have noticed is that when the temp is down the RH is higher than when its warm. I thought it was supposed to be the other way?
Either way, when the temp is low the RH swings about 5% up. Isn't this boveda pack suppose to sustain 65%??

Thanks

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cold air sheds humidity. That is why your air conditioner is always draining water off of the coils.

As far as how the Boveda pack works, you'll have to ask some of the other fellas.......

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yes, but only to a certain extent and slowly. The Boveda will maintain a certain humidity at a stable temp. If your temps are constantly adjusting so is the Boveda. Further, the amount of space in your tupperware is another consideration. This is the reason that the Boveda Calibration kits come with those little ziplock bags that are just big enough to fit a hygro in. The less space the less the bag has to work to maintain a specific humidity.

As to the cold/hot thing, it gets confusing. Basically, it has to do with the amount of water vapor that can be held in certain temps. At lower temps the air holds less water vapor whereas at higher temps it holds more. So let's say you are at 75 degrees and 65% and the temps drop to 70 degrees. Well, until the boveda can react by soaking up the extra water vapor you are going to show a higher RH reading because the 70 degree air doesn't need as much water vapor to be at 65%. Make sense?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If you just ordered some Boveda Packs then it wouldn't come with the bag, you need to order the actual "calibration kit" to get the bag. Of course you can always use a Ziplock bag, though you probably want to use two just to be safe.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
container size matters a LOT. Smaller the container, less time needed for calibration. a container half the size of a humidor could take 3 or 4 days. Temp swings will also have a large bearing on readings. if the temp is going up and down 5 degrees in a 24 hour period, the Boveda will not be able to work fast enough to give an accurate calibration.