What's new

Bovida Question

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently started using air tight containers for humidification (read the post below) now I am thinking of dipping my toe in the CC market and all the information on this site indicates that a lower RH is essential so a new humidor with a lower RH is in my future (I have ZERO burning problems @65% RH for my NC"s)
The Amazon description claims the actual RH in the humidor will be up to 5 points lower then the rating on the pack has this been your experience with these or is that figure with cheap non air tight humidors?
Im currently using Heartfelt Beads and they hold steady at the rated RH in my new box.

OR am I over thinking this and I should just run all of my sticks at 62%??

images.jpeg

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're overthinking it. You can store your NCs and CCs the same way (mine are bunk buddies in the same wineador).

Feel free to use your same methods. Consider dry-boxing for a day or two if you're not totally satisfied with the initial results.

thanks brother
I thought I might be over thinking it:unsure:

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
To each their own of course, but I store CC and NC separate as I’ve been enjoying my CCs at 58%RH. I subscribe to the store them the way you want to smoke them mentality, thus avoiding the needs of dry boxing.

It helps that’s the large majority of my collection is CC tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
regarding Bovedas - use a calibrated hygrometer to determine what the reality is (you can calibrate it by sticking it in a sealed container with any boveda).

I find that the humidity is always within 1% of the label. well within a typical margin of error.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regarding Bovedas - use a calibrated hygrometer to determine what the reality is (you can calibrate it by sticking it in a sealed container with any boveda).

I find that the humidity is always within 1% of the label. well within a typical margin of error.

That is what I found with the Heartfelt beads also
I was just surprised at the description on amazon claiming 5% lower then the stated level on the packs

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
That is what I found with the Heartfelt beads also
I was just surprised at the description on amazon claiming 5% lower then the stated level on the packs
This isn’t probably why it’s stated, but Boveda when used in a wooden humidor generally humidifies to -5% than stated RH due to leakage.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Interesting to me is that when I place 65% beads in the same tupperdor as 65% Bovedas the beads need replenishing while the Bovedas stay soft and charged. Not sure if they are set just a bit higher then the Boveda or if they are like the naughty high school girl that just gives it up a little quicker.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t probably why it’s stated, but Boveda when used in a wooden humidor generally humidifies to -5% than stated RH due to leakage.

that is what I was thinking due to the fact that my wooden humidor was a PITA after switching to an air tight setup all my RH problems magically left!

Interesting to me is that when I place 65% beads in the same tupperdor as 65% Bovedas the beads need replenishing while the Bovedas stay soft and charged. Not sure if they are set just a bit higher then the Boveda or if they are like the naughty high school girl that just gives it up a little quicker.
I'm going with the naughty school girl theory :sneaky:

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just some math here, but when they say +-5% are they saying 5% total humidity swing (60%-70%) or 5% of 65 swing (62%-68%)?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would think a 5% swing in total humidity would make them useless. My experience is a 65 will give you 67 to 63 in the worse case. 5% seems high for Bovedas

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ya, I've seen as much as 2% in my small wood humidors, only 1% in my tupador, more in my cooler but I think it's a circulation issue not boveda

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I think the +\- figure is mostly for folks who are using wood humidors. The only reason I can think of for a 72% sack to exist. Otherwise, most Boveda has been spot on for me in tuppers.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOTE]
I think the +\- figure is mostly for folks who are using wood humidors. The only reason I can think of for a 72% sack to exist. Otherwise, most Boveda has been spot on for me in tuppers.

your right,I went back and read the description on Amazon and that number 5% is due to non air tight environment

Size:65% RH
Up until now, the largest and most popular size (60 grams) has been Boveda's bread and butter for wood humidor maintenance. Typically, 3-4 packs are used to properly regulate a desktop humidor. This process has been condensed into a larger single unit with our 320 gram pouch. The pouch lasts up to 6x longer than any previous Boveda pack. We believe this format will become the new standard in the tobacco market, providing cigar smokers with less maintenance than ever before. The 320 gram pouch is designed for humidors of all sizes, ranging from 25 count to 150 count. Multiple 320g packs can be mounted in even larger humidors and cabinet humidors. Every Boveda RH is accurate to +/- 1% in an air tight environment, which humidors are not. It's common that the actual RH of your humidor will stabilize up to 5 points lower than the Boveda RH you're using, due to humidor quality and ambient dryness. That's why we make Boveda in five different RH levels for tobacco applications: 65, 69, 72, 75 and 84 percent - so you can use the RH that achieves the humidity you and your cigars prefer. Unlike distilled water and PG solutions with sponges/gel/crystals/beads that will impart unwanted flavors on your cigars, Boveda's reverse-osmosis membrane only releases pure water vapor and Boveda will never damage anything through direct contact. Once you smoke a cigar stored with Boveda, you'll finally enjoy it exactly as the master blender intended.

so I just didn't keep reading, it makes sense that they include that due to variations in humidor quality.
like I said I have had zero problems after switching to an air tight system

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for a test on the rehumidification of boveda. Are they still in that +/- after being rehydrated. All mine seem to fall back into that range. Anyone ever have any that doesnt?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
G
I've been looking for a test on the rehumidification of boveda. Are they still in that +/- after being rehydrated. All mine seem to fall back into that range. Anyone ever have any that doesnt?

Generally yes. But if you rehumidify to the point that it swells up fat , it seems to release at a point or 2 higher for a little while.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G

Generally yes. But if you rehumidify to the point that it swells up fat , it seems to release at a point or 2 higher for a little while.
That's what I was thinking may happen but I've never over hydrated on like that. Thank you for your insight.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Recently switched to 62% from 65% in my humi, after a good discussion with @Boudie about this subject in another thread. Granted, they've only been in there a few weeks, but I have zero burn issues in my low humidity with no need to dry box. I'm probably 85% NC, 15% CC's.
I say try it, worst comes to worst, someone here would take the 62's off your hands, I'm sure.
One side note: I moisten the head of the cigar before I cut to prevent cracking. I smoke a lot of delicate Cameroon Wrappers that have split @ 69%. Good practice to get into, IMHO, regardless of RH.

Last edited: