What's new

Boxes in a coolidor

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Making a brand new humidor using a plastic air tight food container. It is about 19" tall and opens from the top. I have some ideas down the road to make some kind of shelving for easier management but for now I will just be using cigar boxes for storage. My wife asked me why I was putting the boxes in the humidor. I know the boxes can help the same way the cedar strips do but I was not able to explain about circulation when the boxes are closed. This makes me start to second guess myself. While the humidor will have the right rh the boxes insides the humidor will have enough flow to get to the right RH. Right?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
The cedar is used because it does a good job helping regulate the humidity due to it's ability to hold moisture without warping.

You only need minimal air flow in the humidor and usually opening it every couple days will take care of that. The closed boxes are fine and don't require air circulation. It's all about RH and once a steady RH is reached over time everything will have the same RH, closed or open boxes.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
The cedar is used because it does a good job helping regulate the humidity due to it's ability to hold moisture without warping.

You only need minimal air flow in the humidor and usually opening it every couple days will take care of that. The closed boxes are fine and don't require air circulation. It's all about RH and once a steady RH is reached over time everything will have the same RH, closed or open boxes.
What he said

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks! Been sitting for about 2 days now with the beads. Probably check it mid week to see if the rh is ready.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0

But what will I do with out precious airflow and those closed boxes!?!?! :)
Learn em up Mac!!!!!!!!!
Edit:
MK not to make lite of your question as its a common and decent question to ask. Many of us here have closed, sealed boxes that won't be opened for 10 years.