What's new

Boxes to age for extended period

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sure the title has floated before but I was talking to a friend of mine who gave me the idea of buying a box when each of my kids are born and smoking one from their box on their birthdays. What would be some good options? Looking to keep it to under 200 for the box. What are the some good options? I am relatively new to Habanos having only had a box of RyJ coronas en cedro and H. Upman short robustos but have been smoking nc sticks for about 11 years. In my research I found that Habanos were highly recommended for long term aging.

Shrody234

Jimmy
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That's a rough question-what I like, you may dislike and vice versa. Go with what YOU like to smoke. If unsure about what to choose, grab a sampler. There are a lot of regular production boxes under $200 that are worthy of your kid's birth month/year.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I agree it's a pretty subjective question. It's also pretty hard to predict what's going to age well. I know in general, La Gloria Cubana (CC, not the NCs) are thought to age really well. I think Bolivar would probably age well also. For NC, I have a feeling the Tatuaje Brown label cigars will age nicely (at least I hope so, I've got some aging now).

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
knowing what your likings are is %90 of the game.
A r&j coronita en cetro & h upmann short robo duo could very well fit that bill . - big fan of the coronita en cet myself.

Last edited:

Shrody234

Jimmy
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I second anything Bolivar...if you find a 2014 ULA box code, it should be a home run. That code is known to be very good at the moment.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Spend $230 and get some partagas 898v...
Monte 3
Bolivar pc
Upmann Connie 1
Cohiba Sig 4 275.00
really,in 15 or 20 years you will wish you had spent the difference.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Spend $230 and get some partagas 898v...
Monte 3
Bolivar pc
Upmann Connie 1
Cohiba Sig 4 275.00
really,in 15 or 20 years you will wish you had spent the difference.
...Thought that was Morro for a second with that avatar, lol. If you get the reference, you have been around here for too long :)

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Cigars to age for children's birth years and month......
H upmann Sir Winnie
Party 898v
Cohiba Robusto
Cohiba CCE
Psd4
Bolivar RC
Bolivar Bbf
H Upmann 2
Monte 2
RASS in cab
LGC MdO 1
HDM des Dieux
RyJ Churchill
RyJ Cazzies

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I picked up a box of Upmann No. 2's last year for my son's birth.

Would recommend some Sir Winnie's for long term (if you can spend a little more). Nothing like a old Sir Winnie. Too bad I couldn't find some Feb '14s last year

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I would recommend chasing down a box with a box code that matches the month and year of the births. Even though i already have 2 kids im going to try to do the same. If it were me though i'd go for Partagas Serie D No 4 for a boy and Lusitianas for a girl... just remembered the budget so scrap that but yeah i stand by it.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Anything would be my answer! I have hundreds of boxes that range from 99-05 and have yet to find one brand or box or size that didn't get better as they got older. Of course I bought most of them new and aged myself in vacpacks inside my walkin so know the environment they were aged in and didn't have to pay a premium for aged sticks. Having said that, I enjoy churchills and dcs the most...so that's the direction I went. The easiest way to get aged smokes is to buy two same boxes. Smoke from one and let the other sit. Its way to hard to just stare at the box all year and only get to pull one cigar from it lol.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
The easiest way to get aged smokes is to buy two same boxes. Smoke from one and let the other sit. Its way to hard to just stare at the box all year and only get to pull one cigar from it lol.
GREAT advice right there... I've been staring at a box of 898 for like 3-4 months right now. No way in hell I could last 18 years. I'm just hoping I can last 1 or 2.