What's new

Broke my right leg

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Sorry I have been away from the boards for the past week. Last Tuesday, at work, I tripped and upon trying to catch my balance I came down wrong on my right leg; broke and fractured the tibia. Had surgery Wednesday to have a plate and screws installed to hold it all back together. Docs say I cannot put any weight on it for 3 months. Glad to finally be home. Now to figure out how to keep the household running from my living room. Should worker's comp. pay to have someone take care of the yard since I can't. Will this mentality cost me my job even though I make them a lot of money? If anyone has some advice for me; I could sure use it. Thank you.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Sorry to hear this news brother. Be thankful comp will cover you without any issues. I know from others experiences with workers comp, they can be real dicks to deal with. I would think yard work should be something they should cover if you can justify the expense but that's my logical 2 cents.

Good luck bro.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Sorry to hear that brother but at least you back on the road to recovery that's always a blessing. Wish you nothing but the best and I guess we will see you on a lot more lol.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Best of luck in recovery!
IIRC, Worker's Comp is more based on a percentage of your salary combined with an ability (or lack there of) to work, not on submitting expenses. But I have no first hand experience and could be way off base...
Again, good luck!

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Workers comp is indeed a percentage of your salary....usually 2/3rds. They cover all injury related expenses....lost pay, cost of trips to the doctors (mileage), medical supplies related to you injury, medical treatment and recovery, physical therapy, etc. They will not pay to have your landscaping done as they are covering your lost wages. You employer can NOT terminate your employment while you are on worker's compensation. I can't remember the time frame, it's either 7 or 14 days, but for the first whatever days, worker's comp does not cover lost wages. I want to say it's 7 days but don't quote me on that.

I'm sorry to hear of this and I wish you a quick recovery!

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Thank you for the insight and help with this matter. I think I remember that some homeowners insurance can help with daily chores that you cannot do when incapacitated. It has been quite an ordeal. I just want to get the pain under control when I have to stand up to use the walker. Having to keep it propped up and on lots of pain meds right now but hope to be able to spend more time on the boards soon.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I broke my entire lower right leg 5 years ago. To elevate at night place the pillows between the box spring and mattress. Them you won't have to try and keep your leg on some pillows all night.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Damn Mcroom, that's a shitty deal of the cards. Don't worry about the job brother, it will be there when you get back. I'll say a prayer for it and a quick and speedy recovery. If it isn't.. Well, it sounds like you have the ability to make someone else a lot of money.. Trust in your skills brother, they'll keep ya going strong.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Get better! At least you can smoke a few sticks in the next few weeks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your leg injury. Hopefully your doctor was being conservative and your recovery will be quicker. Just a couple of weeks on crutches when I tore my ACL was enough to drive me nuts. I can't imagine doing 3 months of that. Best of luck and smoke lots of stogies.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sorry to hear about your leg.
I broke my ankle back in 2002 And they paid 2/3 of my pay from the previous 12 weeks which was good because I had worked a ton of overtime. Check and see If you have any of the disability insurance on any car loans or regular loans that helped me off set the 2/3 pay by not needing to pay for any of my loans. My ankle has a 12-16% limitation for life so once I was cleared to go back to work I was cut a check for a good amount of money.
If I can give one work of advise it would be to do the physical therapy and do it right. Give 100% because it makes a huge difference 10 years later.

Good luck bro! Rest that leg

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
You need to contact your hr rep at your work to figure out exactly when your workers comp kicks in. It's a standard amount of time. I don't remember how long. 1-2 weeks as someone else noted. (I was on it for 4 months after dissecting a artery by my brain) you also need to make sure that all your companies ODI reports have been properly filled out. Don't give them a chance to deny because of loose ends. I know it's been a couple weeks. Heal up!

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
You need to contact your hr rep at your work to figure out exactly when your workers comp kicks in. It's a standard amount of time. I don't remember how long. 1-2 weeks as someone else noted. (I was on it for 4 months after dissecting a artery by my brain) you also need to make sure that all your companies ODI reports have been properly filled out. Don't give them a chance to deny because of loose ends. I know it's been a couple weeks. Heal up!
Thanks Justin. I think we are staying up on top of everything that this state will require. Only problem is that state laws do not guarantee my job - right to work state. I am slowly, one day at a time, getting a little better but still feel like you know what. Thank you so much for thinking of me and your prayers are appreciated. I hope you have a happy 4th weekend and smoke some awesome cigars.