What's new

Broke seal on 90 year old box!

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I purchased, or should I say gambled on a sealed box of 1919 Clear Havana's. With a sealed box you have no way of knowing if the cigars have been distoryed by beatles, dried and cracked to dust or if you are lucky, are good smokable cigars.

If they were trashed I paid a lot of money for nothing, if they were in good shape, there is hope they will be great cigars. These cigars sold for a dime back in 1919 when most sold two for a nickle, and from the markings on the box it's likely 100% Cuban filler, the brand was known for dark broad leaf wrappers so the wrapper may not have been Cuban. But these were certainly very good cigars in there day.

I can't tell you how nervious I was to cut the box's seal, but what I found was great. No signs of beatles, the cigars are intact and firm to the touch. I will not know how they smoke for another six months or so as they need to be slowly brought back to proper humidity, but they will likely be very good. They alread smell amazing.

Thought I'd share my little adventure.

Attachments

Last edited:

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
Those things were 50 years old when I was friggin born!!!

That's amazing and I hope worthy of the investment. Good luck and please report back.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Mitch and the time machine... WOW. Those things are 4 times my age.... Umbelievable!
I believe I saw that box on gothan cigar museum not long ago...