What's new

Brown Sugar Flake the GrrReview

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Samuel Gawith Brown Sugar Flake

Brown Sugar Flake is an exclusive to the Danish Pipe Shop in Copenhagen Denmark. It is of course a flake, packaged in 50g tins. Retails for about 17-20 shipped per tin depending on the amount you purchase.

It is a Va/Burs, Virginia Burley, blend with Cavendish and hints of Orientals and Turkish.

Tin note is hay. That's is all I get. It's a little moist but not as moist as alot of other flakes I enjoy. Nice marbled brown tobacco with streaks of black and tan.

Pipe of choice today was one of my Big Ben Cambridge Rhodesians. Since most of my go to daily smokers are packed for Chicago, I chose this one for its bowl size and it's just a great smoker.

No time for drying today. Had to get out the door for work. Rubbed a broken flake into a ball and got a perfect pack. (Unusual for me to get a perfect pack with this method)

Lighting was a chore. Unfortunately my Djeep lighter was almost out of fuel. Got plenty of flame for my charing light, but not much flame for my relights. Till I found my Prometheus pipe lighter I didn't know I had with me. So first quarter of bowl the tobacco refused to stay lit. Better lighter or some drying time would have helped. Once I found my better lighter it was fine.

Starting out the bowl, I was getting a hint of spice that reminding me of Perique barely noticeable but none the less it was there. Quick Google to tobaccoreviews.com told me there was no Perique in the blend. Must have been the Burley.

Further into the bowl I started to realize the orientals. Very very faint resemblance to a mild English blend.

With my finger as the tamper I finally got a good light with my Prometheus lighter and away I went. Lots of good thick smoke which surprised me. I just wasn't expecting such a nice cloud of white smoke from this for some reason.

Finding my broken wore out tamper in the center console I was finally able to get a good tamp and the bowl stayed lit the rest of the way.

I really suck at tasting flavors, and I really concentrated on trying to pick something, anything specific out to describe it but I just couldnt. At times it reminded me of something but I just couldn't put my taste buds on it.

After I had smoked a little while I went to tamp and my tamper hit the bottom of the bowl. I had smoked the rest of the bowl to ash and it burned beautifully to the end.

Afterthought

This flake altho drier than alot of flakes was still a little moist. But man did it burn dry. No steam hence no tongue bite. I always get a touch of bite from a Va flake since I puff like a freight train. But this blend burned cool and dry. Very dry. Only thing I can attribute that to is the Cavendish. An excellent flake for a newer pipe smoker.

I like it. Will be smoking more. Not sure I would rate it as high as some of my other favorite flakes but will keep it on hand. I do think that aging with make exceptional, but we will see.

Thanx for reading.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Oh a side note;
I'm a nicotine hound. Alot of times after smoking a bowl I crave more nicotine and sometimes during. I use nasal snuff and dipping snuff also. Some days I throw a big "truck driver" into my lip while smoking my pipe to get an extra kick. But usually I just need a dip immediately after a bowl of baccy.

With Brown Sugar Flake I had no cravings. So I'm guessing there is a nice amount of Burley in this blend.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Looks like they sent my order of this blend by snail mail with no tracking number...
It arrived today. They sent the tins in a lightweight box(thinner cardboard stock than a SFR box). Hope the seals are intact. Proper packing is a pet peeve of mine(I worked in a custom packaging & shipping store many years ago). I'll open it tomorrow...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
It arrived today. They sent the tins in a lightweight box(thinner cardboard stick than a SFR box). Hope the seals are intact. Proper packing is a pet peeve of mine(I work in a custom packaging & shipping store many years ago). I'll open it tomorrow...
So your good and don't need any or are you still in for 5?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have yet to try a flake, as I have 2 different baccys from a bomb sent my way. This one might be added to the try list for flakes. For some reason, it might be one I might enjoy....
Thanks for the review Dave!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Sounds like a damn fine tobacco! A bit pricey for me, especially becuase I am on a spending ban until wifey starts her new job in July... I love VA flakes though but am always getting the shit bit out of me, this one is gonna be one of my first orders when I can order again. In the meantime I will burn through all the samples recently gifted to me and roll a bunch of cigars