What's new

bu-bye anchored putters (about time)

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Just announced the R&A and USGA have agreed to ban the anchored putting stroke as of Jan 1st.

Can't believe it's taken them this long, and I'm surprised they're allowing it until the end of the year.

What say you BOTL? Anyone (other than angrybill) use one of these massive things? How does this affect the 'legacy' of the major winners who used them?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
For those of us with little understanding of the game, can somebody explain why they were an advantage?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
It is very surprising that it has taken this long. Been seeing them for a couple years. I guess now that people are winning majors with them it was time to get rid of them.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
The argument is that by fixing a point on the club to the body, it violates the rule 'that the player freely swing the entire club,' . Most of the guys who went to the anchored putter did so to avoid the yips.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
To correct Brent, the rule takes effect on January 1, 2016 for everyone. Not this next January. He knows he lines my putter. Lol

Long putters have been use for over 30 years. The reason it has become an issue is people starting winning with them and some claim an unfair advantage is gained by their use. if that is the case, everyone would use them. They do not cure the yips or make you putt better. im living proof.

For those of us that have back issues, it allows me to play the game more comfortably. , I will conform by 2016, but it's bs. They, being USGA and R&a claim to want the sport pure. If they did, they would deal with the ball and oversized driver issue first. But, I know seeing Bubba drive the ball 400 yards creates ratings and that's what they want.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
haha i figured you'd chime in sooner than later. fwiw, it wouldn't bother me if any hacker I played with still wanted to use a long putter. What do I care - it's not a regulated competition or anything. If it makes the game easier on your back, use it.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Lol. I already have a mid putter I'm working with to grasp against my forearm, which is legal. Just not used to it

But everyone agrees the real change needed to be the ball and driver Issues. Oh well, I have over 3 years to perfect my putting. Lol.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I think it's pointless to ban them. I don't use one but I always knew in the back of my head that if I wanted to, I could. How is that unfair?? If everyone is allowed to make their own decision use it or not, what makes it an unfair advantage?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm not sure it is because there is any advantage but more because, like was already said, it violates the rules about "freely swinging". I will say that if tiger used one, they wouldn't ban it. And it certainly gained more notice because guys have won recently with them, but I think that the freely swinging thing is more the argument...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2 because, you know, I love Tapatalk 2.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I'm not sure it is because there is any advantage but more because, like was already said, it violates the rules about "freely swinging". I will say that if tiger used one, they wouldn't ban it. And it certainly gained more notice because guys have won recently with them, but I think that the freely swinging thing is more the argument...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2 because, you know, I love Tapatalk 2.
Yea that's true. I'm used to my friends who like to argue that it isn't fair but you're right, the argument is about it not being freely swinging.

drbell15

SmallWaveDave
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've never used one but tried them at the shop and they weren't for me. At first I thought good riddance but then I heard Azinger on sportscenter say he was against the ban because no one plays the same game so gaining advantage by anchoring the putter is whatever. He also said it would be bad for amateurs who would just like to have another option to putt better. Reminds me when they went to V grooves on the wedges because tour pros were spinning the ball out of the rough, but it was the average golfer who got screwed more. I agree with Angry Bill, the ball and driver continue to go unregulated when they provide just as much advantage if not more.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
So the web.com and LPGA can still use them? I don't think it matters much. If an anchor putter was number 1 in the world, then I might be thinking differently. Different Strokes for Different Folks.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I go back and forth on this one. It seems to me if it was such a huge advantage everyone would be doing it.