What's new

Budget Complete Cigars Possible?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Quintero Favoritos for breakfast, Ramon Bueso Habanos for dinner.

Favoritos at $100/2 bundles recently, and RB Genesis Habanos I used to get on cbid for $40-50/bundle. But that puts you around $4/day If I wanted to smoke close to 2 a day, and had a $100 budget, that’s how I’d do it.

Jose L Piedras are usually available around $2/stick as well, and recent production has been kind of remarkably good for the price.

Other than that, just watch for clearance sales, save your money and pick stuff up when it goes on sale. Don’t spring for just anything cheap, save up and pull the trigger when good stuff gets clearanced.

Small Batch Cigar has a “Scotty’s Corner and often has great cigars at really good prices. There were some Cornelius & Anthony cigars under $3/ea last week when I looked, for example.

EDIT: price was actually lower than I remembered after the discount code. $60/bundle, and they’re great cigars.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Jose L Piedras are usually available around $2/stick as well, and recent production has been kind of remarkably good for the price.
These better-than-usual JLP’s - any particular box codes or date range, or any certain vitola that’s been standing out more than the others?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a dedicated JLP smoker but I pick up a occasional box of Cazadores or Conservas because I like them for a big RG, honest tobacco, somewhat light smoke. Also the price is right but that isn't my main concern, but, yeah, a nice touch.

That said I did snag a 25 box of Cazadores early January with an ATP Feb 18 date code and I must say they seem a bit fuller and richer in flavor than the last couple Cazadores shipments I got. Not enough personal experience to make a claim that JLPs generally are getting better but after trying three specimens, I'm happy with the Feb 18 crop. Wrappers are noticeably darker than the other JLPs I have on hand, with a kinda rustic mottled/marbled look, definitely darker and more oily than what's left of a five pack from my previous 5X5 order (date code lost.) This is likely to be dumb luck rather than any "trend."

Favorite, most tasty ~ $2 CGs remain PL and Quintero Panatelas in my book though.