What's new

Building a stash without breaking the bank?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks. I don't post much but I do like to buy and what better place than to help out a brother who is clearing out some space

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
OK i have a question that i have been trying to solve but need help. How do you build up a good inventory without dropping your monthly mortgage payment. so far i have been buying in 5 packs and singles from the local b&m (86% tax plus sales tax and markup in Utah), but that doesn't add up to many extra cigars. I only smoke a cigar maybe twice a week if im lucky so its hard to drop 200 bucks on a box. Any tips or tricks?
Three thoughts:
1) 5 Packs are definitely your friend. If you shop around slightly you can often find 5 packs for the same price as 2 or 3 of the same cigars. Even for sampling. If you hate it you can always trade or give away the other 4.
2) Shop around on things for sure. I'm shocked at how often I find one particular site or B&M that just has a significantly lower price on a particular cigar or brand. I am sure there is a reason but I don't know the business all that well. For example, I wanted to buy a box of CyB Lonsdale Club recently. Every place I looked had the price between 140 and 150. I found one site (that I have used before) that had them for 101. Happens all the time with different brands and different stores. The inverse applies as well. Some places can have consistently awesome deals on certain brands and consistently terrible deals on others.
3) I understand the hesitation for box purchases (given your smoking frequency) but they really do save you a lot and help build the stash. My suggestion is to find some folks you can split boxes with. I split a lot with my brother and a couple other guys I met at the B&M. Getting ten cigars here and there is a great thing and you are still paying box prices.

Just my thoughts.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
2) Shop around on things for sure. I'm shocked at how often I find one particular site or B&M that just has a significantly lower price on a particular cigar or brand. I am sure there is a reason but I don't know the business all that well. For example, I wanted to buy a box of CyB Lonsdale Club recently. Every place I looked had the price between 140 and 150. I found one site (that I have used before) that had them for 101.
Ok, spit it out....which site?!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What I would do if I had it to do over again:

1. Start out buying and smoking fivers. A single cigar doesn't always give you a good feel for that cigar. Smoke at least five before going for a box. Once you have a cigar you have a great feel for and love then purchase by the box. Save up... You get a better deal. I'm at the point where I buy mostly boxes. The savings really start to add up. They may not seem like much at first but over five to ten years you're talking hundreds of cigars easily.

2. Realize that just because its popular or the hot item at the moment doesn't mean you'll like it. Bottom line is that your the one who has to smoke it so test the waters before you leap.

3. You don't have to chase every limited release that comes out. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of great ones but there are also a lot of great regular production cigars too. Develop your palate and get a really solid feel for what you like before you start chasing the limited releases. Most times with those you'll have to make a blind purchase (usually a box of box split) because you only get one chance to buy. I've learned that its not worth the risk (for me personally) for Viajes where as I feel comfortable making blind Tatuaje purchases.

4. Take your time and enjoy the ride. The journey is never ending and most of the fun anyway.

5. The most important to me: Build a quality collection over one based on quantity. Remember you're the one who has to smoke them. You'll see polls that ask the question' "how many cigars do you have?" And be amazed at the numbers some guys post. Don't rush it... You'll get there and it's better to get there slower with cigars you love than faster with a huge number of sticks you don't.

6. I would have tried CCs sooner. Some of the guys on here have already made some great suggestions. Let me add RASS to the list. Those can be had for around $7.50 a stick. PLPC are good but you're probably going to want some time to age those. Someone mentioned Partagas Aristocrats as well. Not a bad suggestion on those and they are smoking decent young right now. Don't forget the 10ct boxes either. Plenty of CCs come in 10ct boxes for under $100 giving you an opportunity to get more of a sampler sized purchase versus a 25ct box. The thing about CCs are you can always get your money back selling them. Not so much for that bundle you got for a great "deal". There's a reason some cigars are selling way below MSRP.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I don't post much but I do like to buy and what better place than to help out a brother who is clearing out some space
Chrck out the Newbie Sampler Thread. It will establish a trader rating for you when you can access the trading section. You can do a cash deal too.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
2) Shop around on things for sure. I'm shocked at how often I find one particular site or B&M that just has a significantly lower price on a particular cigar or brand. I am sure there is a reason but I don't know the business all that well. For example, I wanted to buy a box of CyB Lonsdale Club recently. Every place I looked had the price between 140 and 150. I found one site (that I have used before) that had them for 101.
x2 you know you want to

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
OK i have a question that i have been trying to solve but need help. How do you build up a good inventory without dropping your monthly mortgage payment. so far i have been buying in 5 packs and singles from the local b&m (86% tax plus sales tax and markup in Utah), but that doesn't add up to many extra cigars. I only smoke a cigar maybe twice a week if im lucky so its hard to drop 200 bucks on a box. Any tips or tricks?
Right now I'm working with a guy named cateacher...you send money and they will send you sticks, apparently well over what you payed. Maybe that's the way to go. This seems like a vey reputable site, so I might try some of the trading threads.
yeah... the newb sampler trade is just a one time trade (which IIRC utah root beer is doing now). it almost always ends up in the novitiate's favor. just to show them how we do things. that being said, it usualy never hurts to trade or buy here, as the community is rock solid.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
In reading your question it's sounds to me like your answer is using good sites with good prices to avoid the taxes in your state. Buying singles and 5ers works to figure out what you like but what's breaking the bank is you living In Utah. What smokes are you talking about at 200 a box? What kind of smokes do you want in your stash? There are plenty of boxes of good smokes way under 200 a box. Also find someone to split boxes with is an option

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Good advice so far from the other brothers. This is what I have done over the past years.

When our have access to the Market Place see what others are selling and buy a few to see what you like. Once I did that I found I liked full body smokes, so I bought a few cheap bundles from a site sponsor. While I was smoking thru them I would save up and buy a box ever now and then. And during the process keep looking for good bundle deals that oh like. Then host a box split or 2 every now and then, this way you can build a stash slowly and build your TR and interaction with the brothers on this site.
Also try and find when local B&M's are having a promotion yo can almost always get better deals with a box purchase and possible freebies.

I hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
x2 you know you want to
Now that my order has been received.... Egars had the best deal on the CyB by a country mile. I ordered the full box for 105. Mine came without issue. Looks like they have good prices on the 5 packs as well. No clue why but I couldn't find them anywhere else for < 140

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
x2 you know you want to
Now that my order has been received.... Egars had the best deal on the CyB by a country mile. I ordered the full box for 105. Mine came without issue. Looks like they have good prices on the 5 packs as well. No clue why but I couldn't find them anywhere else for < 140

Good website. They have a few brands with better prices. But the others are just regular prices I believe. Thanks a lot man!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right now I'm working with a guy named cateacher...you send money and they will send you sticks, apparently well over what you payed. Maybe that's the way to go. This seems like a vey reputable site, so I might try some of the trading threads.
yeah... the newb sampler trade is just a one time trade (which IIRC utah root beer is doing now). it almost always ends up in the novitiate's favor. just to show them how we do things. that being said, it usualy never hurts to trade or buy here, as the community is rock solid.
What do you mean novitiate's favor...and what is the market place.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Wow thanks everyone for the great advice. I really do like supporting my b&m but i think i will have to start cutting back a little there so i can get the boxes online. I don't have access to the marketplace yet so that's why i haven't checked that out but im excited for it. so that's my plan and i noticed based on some of the responses i wasn't the only one, so thanks everyone for the tips.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I second or third the marketplace here. Always good quality products at great prices. I have not had a bad deal here, and always great smooth transactions.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Think the hardest piece of smoke on a budget it not chasing the hype of the new cigars from the top players (tat, liga, fuente etc etc). One thing I do when in budget mode is buy budget bundles I like and pick up a single or two of the hype cigar for a special occasion or just a day that needs something nice more than the others:) that way you can normally still get your budget sticks (and if you get lucky on sale or free ship) and tend to get the hype stick at Msrp. And hit up the site sponsors...ferderal usually has the best prices and a great staff.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Your absolutely right on chasing the newest cigars, but its hard when people use such great words to describe them . im still pretty new and so i haven't found out what i prefer yet, so i think i will keep trying fivers until i find something box worthy.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I think the most important part of collecting is to smoke less than you purchase. This was another hard one for me in the summer time! Winter time is easy, it's too cold to smoke outside.