What's new

building an AR

kctaxman

...not postpadding...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions from people who have built their own AR-15?

It seems like very little cost difference when I price a lower, upper, barrel & parts kits with all the 'extras' I want vs. a fully assembled one.

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have not built my own, but what man. are you looking at?

Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt

Is there a need to build your own? A special configuration perhaps, or just looking to save $? What "extras" are you looking at?

You might be able to save some $ buying parts at a gun show.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yummy! ;)

I wish I knew where the hell my pics were of mine, I'd post it....maybe at home, I'll look.

I am not the most manually inclined person in the world (to put it mildly) so I really had no interest in going the fully home built direction. Hell, if something was wrong, I wanted to send the thing to someone who knew what they were doing. I went the same route you are looking at though in general. Mine was during the ban though, so I screwed myself in some ways. I have an RRA upper and a DPMS lower with an ACE shorty stock. I got everything off of AR15.com's Equipment Exchange (from a vendor or from someone advertising) and I really suggest that as the best way to go. In fact, not to stifle conversation here on this, but get yer arse over to ar15.com and start asking there. There is even a section under the AR15 forum for building. They will answer any question you could possibly want an answer to. In that config, if you stick to it exactly, if you aren't picky about manufacturers...and you have patience...you could probably build for $500-800. I'm just guestimating, pure and simple here so...

Got a budget in mind? More info please. :D I might just have found my day's "interent research project". Heheheh...gotta have SOMETHING to do at work, no?

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Nice looking AR.

I bought mine during the ban also, Armalite AR-15 Carbine. I like the mid-lenght handguards on the Armalite. I bought a collapsable stock at a gun show, just need to get it installed.

Jwrussell, what is your handle on ar15.com? I post under wallnuts.....have not been there in a long while though.....might need to check it out some more.

Good luck and happy shopping taxman! Shopping for firearms is my second favorite thing to shop for!

:smt033
:smt067

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Handle on AR15.com is "Jrussell". I had been away for a while as well, but the draw of the firearm has pulled me back...for awhile at least.

Forgot to finish my thought above. The way I screwed myself is by getting an upper with a barrel with a pressed on, fake-flashider. It just looks like a flashider yet keeps the barrel at 16". Now if I want a real one i'm going to have to go with something that is long enough once you get rid of the fake flashider and cut down the barrel that it still meets 16". Either that or get a new barrel, but that's more than I'm looking to spend.

kctaxman

...not postpadding...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info; I don't think its worth the trouble to build one to save $ 100; now $300 is huge.

My first choices are RRA & DPMS for the upper & lower; I can cut the cost by getting a standard stock.

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I gotta get my telescoping stock put on.

If the standard stock from my AR will fit yours (i think it should) I could sell you mine. PM if interested.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
kctaxman said:
Thanks for the info; I don't think its worth the trouble to build one to save $ 100; now $300 is huge.

My first choices are RRA & DPMS for the upper & lower; I can cut the cost by getting a standard stock.
Ok, some ideas from you with just a little bit of searching:

All prices are either from the EE at ar15.com or one of their vendors:

Complete DPMS lower with 6 position stock $255
Complete DPMS upper flat top barrel assembly with standard hand guards $460
Total $715 for your complete firearm minus magazines +shipping.
That's the easy way but as you can see, not much savings.
You can save $55 on the upper if you don't care about manufacturer (this is just the one vendor I looked at, others I'm sure could be even more savings).
You can save almost $100 just buying the upper and lower seperate (mine are RRA/DMPS respectively). You lose out on getting a magazine, but heck, you are probably going to buy a bunch more anyway, right?

Sorry, but I'm too lazy to go the priced out parts list. :p
I can tell you a lower will run you around $105 and the parts kit around $55 (DPMS/RRA) depending on where you go. From there you need to add your stock (buffer as well I would imagine). You could probably piece together the lower for $220 or so from what I'm seeing with a 4 or 6 position Telestock (running $50-70).

This is sticking only RRA and DPMS. If you were to really scrounge and be patient and watch the EE for specials, My guess is you could probably put the whole lower together for under $200.

Uppers seem to run right around $100 and up. Couple hundred for the barrel, add on the cost of the bolt, carrier and charging handle and (I'm assuming) standard hand guards. Another $100 or so for the bolt carrier assembly...hell, I'm not searching hard, but doesn't seem like me that you can even peice the damn upper out and save all that much money! Still gonna run you $400, give or take, for just the upper, bolt carrier and barrel.

You can get lower but if you really want to go RRA/DPMS the whole way that's what it's looking like to me. I just don't get it. The build freaks at AR15 swear you can build an AR for a heck of alot less than you can buy one complete, but I'm just not seeing a huge savings difference.

Maybe if you go the KIT route with J&T or Del-Ton...ahhhhhhhhhh...there we go!
Del-Ton's 16" M4 Rifle Kit runs $460. (You can add on from there...I played around and found I would probably add on about $125 for a total of $585). All you need to complete are the right tools and a stripped lower. As you wouldn't be going RRA/DPMS for much of anything on this rifle if you went this way, so it would probably run right around $100 for that. Total of $560 if you go bare bones with nothing else. Now THAT's some savings.

Now comes the tricky part. Do you really want the bare bones, no frills, stock AR15 M-4gery (mock of the military M-4)? Or do you want to put a free float (or not) rail system in place of the standard hand guard? How about a forward grip to go with that rail system (Can get really expensive fast)? What about that grip? I think the standard grip is crap...have a G27 (think that's what it's called...) on mine. Also, all of these kits, for the most part, are missing that fancy removable "carry handle" on the RRA you are looking at. That sucker is $100-120 by itself. Personally, I'd go for a BUIS (Back up Iron Site), but a good one again will run you approx $100. Do you really like the standard telestock? I don't...kind of eyeing a VLTOR telestock...and those dang things are EXPENSIVE!

I guess the point I'm making is that yes, you can build one for cheaper, but you will most likely end up paying about the same or more as a stock by the time you are customizing yours to your tastes. It's a disease, I tell ya! ;)

So there you go!

kctaxman

...not postpadding...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jwrussell said:
I guess the point I'm making is that yes, you can build one for cheaper, but you will most likely end up paying about the same or more as a stock by the time you are customizing yours to your tastes. It's a disease, I tell ya! ;)

So there you go!
That sums up my dilemma; what I can 'save' on a "build it myself" translates into spend more to upgrade/customize.

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
kctaxman said:
That sums up my dilemma; what I can 'save' on a "build it myself" translates into spend more to upgrade/customize.
LOL!

Kinda like when a vendor has a good sale, the money you save you end up spending on another box anyway! Looks like Jwrussell gave you a lot of good info and options. Have fun and let us know what you decide to do.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice given here. You can try buying used but "like new" and maybe save a few bucks. I have found out that you can find some treasures at gun shows. About a year ago I found myself in the same spot you are. I was going to spend alot more money by building then by buying cause I wanted all the expensive stuff!!! LOL. I finally gave up on it.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Nice rifles Mark. I had some trouble moving the one I had (not pre-ban during the ban) because of the fixed carry handle. Most want the A4 setup now. Still, very nice.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
KC,

I really don't know squat about AR's....yet. But I'm gonna get one soon. I'm leaning toward the Busmaster. If you want a lot of info,(and arguement) from a bunch of people, some of them quite knowledgeable, follow this link:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/search.asp?mode=AR15

When the search box pops up, just type in AR15 and you'll get 6 pages of threads...and a bunch of links.

Hopefully some of this info will be helpful.

<RiverRat the Armed>

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Riverrat, I would suggest www.ar15.com. No better place on the net to learn about AR15s. Can't go wrong with Bushmaster, but I would recommend checking out RockRiverArms as well. DPMS as well.

Be sure to check out the trade forums at ar15.com. You can find great deals there.