What's new

building an AR

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
kctaxman I guess I would ask why do you want an ar? Don't get me wrong I love AR's I don't have one now I sold it a long time ago. If your looking to compete then go full tilt self built or by someone that specalizes in AR. If you just like them almost anything well built will do. I have shot in more gun games than I'd like to remember (pistol,shotgun,long range high power you name it)and you can't go wrong in buying the best you can afford.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as how the original post was in March '05, i'd be curious to see if you got around to buying one, and what you ended up with. Also agree with Sercher's question; what do you plan on doing with it, competition or just plinking around?

_____
mg

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I need to get some new pics taken of mine and get them up. I've since replaced my stock with a Magpul CTR collapsible and I'm about to send it off for a FF rail and to have the damn fake flash hider chopped off and replaced with a vortex.

Anyone else catch the Evil Black Rifle disease since this post started?

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I need to get some new pics taken of mine and get them up. I've since replaced my stock with a Magpul CTR collapsible and I'm about to send it off for a FF rail and to have the damn fake flash hider chopped off and replaced with a vortex.

Anyone else catch the Evil Black Rifle disease since this post started?
Long before this post. . .:nodlaugh: Thank Curtis LeMay and the very first version of the M-16, before they even had forward assist or casing deflectors. . .Man, I am getting old. . .:smokingbo I just won a Magpul at the AR15 giveaway. It will go on my SPR. . .:grin:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Magpul what? ANd bastage. :wink:

Rat, both Stag and RRA are quality names. Stag tends to be much cheaper, however they are the folks who made the original S&W MP15s. I belive S&W is making them in house now, but when they were introduced they were actually Stag AR's at their core. RRA has been a name for a long time now and I have one of their uppers. Very happy with it.

How much are you looking to spend and what kind of configuration are you looking for? A friend of mine just picked up an S&W MP15T and they are actually a very good deal for what you get.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
How much are you looking to spend and what kind of configuration are you looking for? A friend of mine just picked up an S&W MP15T and they are actually a very good deal for what you get.
I know I want 16" barrel, chrome lined. Rails aren't necessary for now, just the standard heat guard is fine. 5.56 so I can shoot either that or .223. Adjustable stock. I'm still researching about sights and receivers as I don't know a lot about the different AR configs. :dunno:

I read that Stag were solid for the money, and it seems like many, many folks like the Bushmasters. Lots of choices.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK, that price point does put a bit of a crimp on things, but it's doable. The Smith's really aren't that pricey. Like I said, I had a friend pick up the 15T (the one with the 10" railed forend and Troy iron's front and back) for $1200 at a local shop that just opened up. It was their grand opening, but that's still about the going rate. So the bare bones one should be a few hundred less. Worth looking into at least.

I'm not a bushmaster fan. Don't ask why, I can't explain it, I just think they are a bit over proud of their product. I think you are fine sticking with RRA or Stag.

If you haven't already been there go check out www.ar15.com and the equipment exchange section. Lots of vendors advertising there and you will find the best prices available for the most part. You'll have to do some emailing for true prices though as alot of manufacturers have MAPs that don't allow the people to advertise what they are really selling at. Some for instances:

PKFirearms has the RRA CAR (if you don't care about the M4 profile barrel) for $890 Pretty much everything you are asking for and only $40 over your target.

Complete Stag Lower Receiver from JKiser: $239 with collapsible stock, though I recommend going with the CTR stocked lower for $319.
Add to that a Stag 2H upper with Arms #40 Back Up Iron Sight for $489 from Legal Transfers and you are at $808 with the CTR stock (I have one, it rocks) or $728 with the standard stock!
Or, if you want the rail and are willing to spend a little bit more, go with the standard Stag lower and a railed Stag upper for $659 from Legal Transfers (with Arms #40) for $898.

And that's without really scouring the boards.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Thanks...I welcome all advice. What types of sights should I look for (or avoid) when sticking with iron sights? Also, can optics be added later to any sort of upper, or does it need a certain config, like removable handle?

Also, what's you're opinion of Panther Arms? Some of their complete rifles seem to be in my price range.

Oh yeah, will they all hold the bolt open after the last shot, or only certain models?

Thanks!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
All AR's hold the bolt open after the last shot unless they are somehow strangely configured or not operating properly.

I'm not familiar with Panther Arms. Never mind, you are talking about DPMS. I have one of their lowers. I haven't had any problems, but I've read about some issues with DPMS lately. My suggestion: stick with the other names already mentioned.

Iron sights. There are way too many to mention. You'll only need to worry about the rear sight with the setups I've noted as all have a fixed front sight. The ARMS #40 I mentioned previously included on some of the uppers is very good, extremely hardy. Anything ARMS makes is good. TROY, YHM, GG&G, LMT, MI are all good names. At this point it's really kind of hard to go wrong with whoever you pick there are so many good ones out there. You will always want a set of BUIS on the rifle so make sure you start out with irons.

I strongly suggest a flat-top upper versus a fixed carry handle. The railed flat-top is by far more versatile allowing any number of options up to and including a detachable carry handle if you just have to have the carry handle. It makes adding optics later much, MUCH easier. I'm personally not a carry handle type of guy, I prefer a flat top with a BUIS even without optics.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Jason, you just saved me a whole bunch of typing. . .:rolling:

. . .snip. . .PKFirearms has the RRA CAR (if you don't care about the M4 profile barrel) for $890 Pretty much everything you are asking for and only $40 over your target . .snip. . .
Jason's recommendation is a good one. If you have an FFL who will do the transfer, I strongly suggest you shop the AR15 Equipment Exchange board for a purchase. For noobs to the AR I strongly suggest a new rifle. Avoid used until you learn the nuances then you can build the next one. . .Trust me, this may be more addicting than cigars. . .:rolling: PK is a good dealer and so is Pete at LegalTransfers. Most on that board are excellent. You can check the feedback section if you have any questions. Consider a private party if they have a lot of good feedback and a great deal comes along. I have been on that board since the late 90's, so if you have any questions just shoot me an email or IM.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Might double check that CAR though, not sure it has a chrome lined barrel (something you definately want). I agree with Fox on the new rifle suggestion as well. Don't worry about buying an upper and lower seperate, any monkey can put the two together (it's just two captive pins in the lower, seriously easy).

Personaly I think the Stag deals I mentioned are your best bet, but the 2 stage trigger that comes on that RRA is a definate bonus.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Just one other thing of note. Most of the rifles being sold now are a 1 in 9" twist. That is fine for a carbine configuration where you are unlikely to be shooting anything greater than a 62 grain bullet. In fact, I recommend 55 grain for noobs. Some 1 in 9" barrels will stabilize 69 grain bullets accurately, others will not. If you should choose to go with an 18" or longer barrel, there are a lot of great cartridges with much heavier bullet weights that are better at long range. In a longer barrel you will want to go with 1 in 7" or 1 in 8" in order to stabilize the heavier/longer rounds.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Thanks guys...this is exactly the type of advice I'm looking for. You know how opinionated some of the gun forums can get. :scratchhe

I figured the 1:9 twist was the meat and potatoes of barrels, so that's what I'd get.

AR15.com looks like the kind of site where you can dig up most any information conceivable! Good advice on the Equipment Exchange.

As I run into questions that I cannot find any answer to, I'll probably PM you or add to this thread to see if you can give me some input.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've recently started getting the bug to start competitively shooting in the high power leagues around here. One of the technicians at work has talked me into meeting him at the range a few times next week to start learning the basics.

As a background, my father used to compete in both pistol and garand matches when I was a kid, he still has all of his old equipment, which I'm working on talking him into letting me start shooting his M1 again.

But, for the cost factor and the fact that there are more matches for the AR15 style rifles, I've started looking into them. Thanks for all the advice already given on here. BTW, I do have a bit of an in, one of the guys at work runs a ammo/gun shop on the side, and he can get me anything RRA makes at just over his cost (he has to make at least a little profit).

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Very nice. I'm not a huge fan of that type of competition but there are certainly alot of ar15's in highpower nowadays.