What's new

Bulletproof Coffee

KGD

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Has anyone tried this before? Thoughts?

After years of fiddling with a coffee recipe to rival the yak-butter tea, he arrived at a well-frothed blend of low-toxin joe, one to two tablespoons of unsalted grass-fed butter (though he personally uses up to six), and 1 to 2 tablespoons of medium-chain triglyceride oil, a replacement for coconut oil “because I didn’t want my coffee to taste like a tropical beverage,” Asprey says. He called his concoction Bulletproof coffee and posted it on his blog in 2009, suggesting people drink the fat-filled, 460-calorie plus beverage instead of breakfast, promising that it removed cravings, promoted weight loss by triggering ketosis, and had “a massive impact on cognitive function.” Asprey claims that drinking the coffee and other health hacks helped boost his IQ by more than 20 points. (Marjorie Nolan Cohn, a spokeswoman for the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, says improvements in mental clarity “can’t be scientifically substantiated,” though “fats are beneficial for brain function.”)

http://www.fastcompany.com/3032635/most-creative-people/bulletproof-coffee-the-new-power-drink-of-silicon-valley

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Not a fan. I understand the way it works for the Keto crowd, but I'd rather get my fat from other sources.

The most frustrating thing is that they guy promoting this doesn't understand specialty coffee and his promotion of 'low toxin' coffee is a joke. He has no idea what he is talking about.

Last edited:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I just heard of this fir the first time on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon tonight. and we've been talking about it here on BOTL for months now...

We're so smart!!

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
A guy at work has been begging me to try it for the last 2 years. His grandmother always drank it that way so he's been doing it since he started drinking coffee.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
My daughter made me some when I was up visiting her. It was really good, but labor intensive and not something I would do durning the week.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that video, also. I did give it a try, though. I live in Okinawa, so didn't have access to all organic or grass fed butter. Just using normal butter, however, I did notice a pretty big boost in my morning. I wasn't hungry until lunch and was going strong the whole morning. I don't believe that it is all his "bulletproof coffee," but mostly the mechanism of caffeine ion general. I would agree that all organic anything is probably better in the long run, but just butter in my coffee has now become a staple.
Caffeine releases fat into your bloodstream to be turned into energy (the same weight of fat has about seven times as much energy as the same weight in carbs). This, essentially, "turns on" your fat burning pathways. The butter supplies more energy to burn. This turns off those cravings because you don't have a sugar dump (see any cross fit page anywhere, taken with grains of salt). So, you start burning fat and have more fat to use until lunch; titrate as needed.
The coconut oil being good for mental acuity, I have no idea. Caffeine also stimulates your brain to release those chemicals that make you feel awake. Could be caffeine, could be super coconut oil.
The whole butter in coffee thing has actually worked quite well for me and I do it every morning now; I don't think you need special "bulletproof" coffee.
But raising his IQ points... bit of a stretch.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've tried this for a while, not every day religiously. I can't honestly say that there was an increase in anything. The only thing that makes me suspect is that the Bulletproof Executive has his own branded coffee and coconut oil.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
It's not a fix all. The grass fed butter is better for you as it provides good cholesterol, the coconut oil provides MCT which sparks your metabolism which aids in burning fat.

It doesn't replace a healthy breakfast, you need protein in the morning.

Doing this alone is like putting air in only one tire, you started down the right path but didn't finish the process. You need to workout and eat right to see change.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
This is another way to overcomplicate things.

Just eat a healthy diet of 5-6 small meals (high protein/mid carb/mid fat). Space them out to every 2.5-3 hours. Use a nice 4-5 day a week gym workout plan. You will get in shape.