What's new

Cabs?

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So what is the difference between a cab and a box of 25? I know the cabs aren't as pretty and hold 50 sticks, but is that all? Is one better than the other?

~Eric

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The cabinet is generally considered better than the dress box. You are correct that the cab is not as aesthically pleasing as the cab might be. However, cigars age, thus taste better over time than their dress box counterparts.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Some sizeable differences:
1) Yes, cigars will age better in Slide Lid Boxes because of the lack of oxygen exposed to the cigars. Tobacco needs air to continue its maturation process but too much air can damage the process. Dress Boxes allow more flow than their larger counterparts therefore accelerating the aging process but sacrafising the overall quality of the aged tobacco.
2) Some aficionados say that there are actually different blends between the DB and SLB versions of cigars. Take Boli Corona Gigantes for example. MRN says that the version of the cigar available in cab is particularly good for long term aging. This basically implies that it is a slightly different blend with superior characteristics.

One thing to be aware of though is that if you only plan on aging your cigars for less than 5 years, a dress box is probably the way to go. They will have matured more and therefore will have a slightly more adjusted flavor.

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OK, cool. At least now I know I'm not going to be doing myself some great injustice if I decide to purchase dress boxes, lol.

Thanks guys.

~Eric

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
SLB (cab) -->

Dress box ------>

Not the best versions of either, but what you get for only searching for 5 minutes!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I'm 50/50 when it comes to cabs and DB's...I guess it depends on how good I can play Tetris with my boxes and cabs! Ha! :hysterica

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
This is a good point. I smoked a 4 y/o RAG the other day (see previous post) that was a complete rectangle. It really became an issue when trying to rotate to a less chewed side. I only had 2 options where as with a round cigar I generally can spread the wealth around.

An excellent observation Todd

Wasch_24 said:
I am starting to like cigars from SLBs better then dress boxes simply because they are more round out of a SLB.

Navydoc

Tennis Anyone?
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Cabs can come in 25 or 50 sizes. The 50 count cabs typically have the "better" cigars from the rolled batch. The cigars in the cabs used to come unbanded but since 04 the cigars now have bands. I guess it's like comparing varnished and unvarnished dress boxes. Some believe the varnished boxes contain higher quality cigars...for example: Partagas 8-9-8 - comes in varnished and unvarnished or Ramon Allone 8-9-8 also available in varnished and unvarnished. The varnished boxes cost more..as much as $50-75 more per box. Well, that's my 2 cents.

Attachments

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I think you may have kind of mentioned it but I want to confirm it. All Cab's cigars are rolled in and left round and all SLB's are box pressed right?

Personally the shape doesn't bother me. Draw and burn (besides flaver of course) means more.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Varnished and Unvarnished, I THOUGHT, only related to SLBs and another abreviation I can't remember, but not Dress Boxes....someone want to enlighten me? I'm just not a huge fan of DBs as they tend to be on the gaudy side. SLBs and the more fancy all wooden boxes (what I'm talking about above) just seem much more classy. :dunno:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Hot_Sauce said:
I think you may have kind of mentioned it but I want to confirm it. All Cab's cigars are rolled in and left round and all SLB's are box pressed right?

Personally the shape doesn't bother me. Draw and burn (besides flaver of course) means more.
Cab's are SLBs. For the most part when someone says Cab they are referring to the 50 ct. SLB (Slide Lid Box). There are plenty of 25ct. SLBs out there, JL1s and RS12s come to mind.

The box press typically comes from the dress boxes. The one where the lid is on a hinge and the box is decoarated with paper (most of the time). The dress box creates the box press.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Varnished and Unvarnished, I THOUGHT, only related to SLBs and another abreviation I can't remember, but not Dress Boxes....someone want to enlighten me? I'm just not a huge fan of DBs as they tend to be on the gaudy side. SLBs and the more fancy all wooden boxes (what I'm talking about above) just seem much more classy. :dunno:
Semi broute (sp?) nature (SBN) are also unvarnished and varnished. You are right, DBs are not varnished.

Juan Lopez No. 1s come in an unvarnished SLB and Cohiba Robustos come in a varnished SLB.

RA 898s come in a varnished box that is hinged and has a claspe, I think this is a SBN box that is varnished.

With regards to the Partagas 898 the varnished and unvarnished versions differ by more than the type of box. The unvarnished Party 898 is a completely different size cigar.