What's new

Caldwell and Lost & Found cigars. Relabeling old cigars?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So I noticed FB is in a frenzy over these new cigars by Caldwell Cigars and Lost & Found Cigars. They have creative names like "swollen cock", "cream machine", "pepper cream chocolate crush", "one night stand" . They come wrapped in brown paper like grocery bags with a sticker on it or a stamp. The cigars themselves have no bands. People are going crazy over these cigars and paying $140 for a pack of 10 cigars!

Now I've read several articles and seen posts claiming that this company re-labels old cigars that didn't sell or ran out of packaging for. As they say on their website they don't grow or even roll their own cigars, but buy already made cigars off other companies. It seems some of the people in the company have connections to CLE/Camacho. One of the owners was a marketing and graphic designer for CLE.

One thing that is very interesting is the Pepper Cream Chocolate Crush. It is a barber pole wrapped cigar with a robusto size but has a bulge in the middle so it isn't quite straight. A very unique shape. I've only seen this shape on one other cigar, the Camacho Liberty 2007. And wouldn't you know it the Liberty 07 also has a barber pole wrapper. And of course the connection between Camacho arises again. When you compare the 2 cigars they are in fact identical size, shape, and color of both wrapper tobaccos as well as the size of the spacing on the barber pole. Their description of this cigar of what tobaccos are used in this are also identical to the Liberty 07 and they list this cigar as a "vintage cigar from 2007".

Now the thing is this. Do you think its sketchy or unethical to relabel old cigars that didn't sell as something new? New package and some marketing and increase price 400%?

I had seen the Camacho Liberty on close out on several sites before such as Holts, Cigars International's "make me an offer" and of course cigarbid. When on close out they go for under $5 each. I can only imagine what they are paying when buying 3,500 cigars. Those in the business have speculated when doing something like that between $1-2 a cigar as the factory needs to clear out room and move old inventory for product they no longer have labels/packaging for.

If you check out their website you can see they have invested a lot in creative design and labeling of their products. http://bellattocaldwellsears.com/

Description of company on website:
In February, 2014 Robert Caldwell, Tony Bellatto and Jaclyn Sears announced the release of an uber-boutique collection of cigars under the name Impromptu. The project was renamed Caldwell/Bellatto/Sears because Impromptu proved itself to be a much more complicated. The project has been renamed again as Lost&Found.

Lost&Found is a concept. We do not manufacture the cigars. They are something Lost and then Found. We rummage around the aging rooms of legendary manufacturers and find those amazing blends that were very special when they were on the shelves and breathe new life into them. It is a chance to bring in one-off cigars that have been aged to perfection and share them with true connoisseurs. Some quantities have been as low as 100 cigars. It is the coolest thing to ever happen a second time to a great cigar.
What are your thoughts?

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
It's almost certainly a 2007 Camacho Liberty. And the markup is harsh, but I don't mind too much in this case. They aren't claiming to roll them and, other than keeping the original cigar name/brand unpublished, I don't really think they are putting one over on anyone.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
I've had one of each since they started the Lost and Found brand and they are tasty, but tooooooooo expensive. But ya they're basically rebranding sticks that were leftover for whatever reason that ends up sitting aging in the warehouses for many years. Do I think they're worth it... no not really, its too hit and miss with quality and flavors are not typically consistent cigar to cigar granted I have had a handful that were pretty damn tasty. Cool concept, but like that liberty 2007 (which is the best one ive had so far), they shouldn't make it so obvious to what stick it "was" lol.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
The Camacho Liberty had an MSRP of $15 when it was released, but then again it did have a band, a coffin and a fancy box. Since Caldwell doesn't roll cigars, they had to buy them from Camacho then put their 5 cents in to packaging, so the over $10 price point is understandable. Not saying it's worth it, but I understand why it's priced where it is.
I think they are walking a fine line by telling people they are old cigars and then not telling people what they are. It seems some that jumped on them from the start are starting to feel suckered now, but they keep selling out of their releases so they have that going for them.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Caldwell is a marketing guru who would best be served working for a cigar company whose strength is QUALITY AND CONSISTENCY. I don't think quality and consistency are sexy enough for Caldwell.
I also think Caldwell thinks very little of the cigar community---a sort of hipster view of the community.

"Robert Caldwell put it best. Racks on Racks is“Richer than Rich. Fuller than Full. It bitch slaps you with no respect.”"

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was fortunate to learn about the camacho link to lost and found before spending money. No matter because i don't often spend $10 a stick. Having said that, It doesn't really bother me what they've done.

Now i have purchased two boxes of Caldwell sticks in the last six months. They are fine cigars but a value play they are not. I'm fine with that.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I haven't entertained this Lost and Found one bit. You're right though it's funny seeing the buzz about these on fb. I also thought a lot of brothers are going to feel quite duped, especially the ones fetching these on the secondary.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Look the whole lost and found thing is ridiculous.
Sure, go find these old sticks, but don't charge $15 a stick for them. Don't slap some hipster marketing on them to fool the consumer. Break it out and share, but acknowledge the fact that its overrun sticks and price them at that. Not like a super premium
There's money to be made..."Hot Pepper Splash" "Rootbeer Float" make the boys and girls go crazy!