What's new

Can Someone Please Explain "Cigar Complexity" to me?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newb I often read posts that associate "cigar complexity" with quality. It also seems that this "complexity" is mostly associated with more full bodied cigars. Can someone explain this concept to me? Are there mild or medium blends that display "complexity" or is this only a full bodied phenomenon? Is a cigar that displays a pleasant, yet consistent flavor throughout the smoke, of lesser quality to complex cigars?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I think it varies depending on who is describing the cigar. For me, complexity has to do with whether or not there are a variety of flavors, instead of being a one-note cigar.

There are some cigars on the mild-medium side that can be wonderfully complex. Hoyo de Monterrey and Romeo y Julietas are great examples.

There's nothing to say that a less-complex cigar has to be of lesser quality, but generally speaking, that's probably true. A better blender is going to naturally create a more complex cigar to create a more well-rounded flavor.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me, complexity has to do with whether or not there are a variety of flavors, instead of being a one-note cigar.
A lot of it also depends on how experienced you are at smoking, or how developed your palate is. I have been smoking cigars for a number of years but just recently really started trying to focus on the flavors, and how those flavors change. Just like other things where flavors play an important role, fine cuisine and wines for example, it sometimes takes a long time to develop your palate to be able to recognize different flavors. You can smoke one of the most complex cigars according to veteran aficionados, but then not be able to to tell the difference. For me personally, sometimes I'll be smoking a stick and a flavor will present itself, but I cant put my finger on what the flavor is. Then towards the end of the smoke I can tell the flavor changed, but cant name exactly what that flavor is...if that makes any sense. Just yesterday I tasted cinnamon for the very first time in a cigar, it was in the beginning of the smoke but then disappeared into the 2/3. Then the flavor changed to a very creamy earthy flavor, which in my opinion made that a (some what) complex smoke. I have heard of people describing cigars with notes of cinnamon before but never tasted it myself. It all comes with experience.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is a cigar that displays a pleasant, yet consistent flavor throughout the smoke, of lesser quality to complex cigars?
I wouldn't necessarily say a one dimensional, single-flavor cigar is of "lesser quality". There are plenty of very good cigars that have very little or no flavor shifts, it just depends on what you like. A cigar is only as high quality as you can distinguish.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I find much more complexity in the mild and medium categories than in the full category. Significantly more. Complexity in my opinion is a cigar that progresses in flavor as compared to other blends that tend to hit the sweet spot sooner and stay consistent throughout the rest of the experience.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
One way to kinda gauge complexity for someone who is still learning, such as myself, is if I get bored with the cigar or tired of it, for me sometimes that means the cigar isn't complex (if that makes sense). Although like was said earlier, a one dimensional cigar isn't always a bad thing, sometimes it's all I want ( more so with shorter smokes)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think full bodied cigars are the least complex. It's kind of a trade off of flavor and strength. Medium + is the sweet spot for me where you get the most of both. My Father and Padron 1964 are the best examples of this.

Some mild Conn Shade and Maduro cigars can lack complexity as well, but for me the least complex cigars are powerhouse sticks like LFD Dbl Ligero, Cain F, and 601 La Bomba. Tasty and Stong but pretty much all one flavor Pepper/Spice

Another good example is the Illusione corojo being a bit less complex than the Epernay which is much milder, but awesome in that the few notes are spice and sweet earth. Delicious! The Epernay is dialed back so you can pick up much more delicate flavors. Sometimes, a single note or a few notes are just right flavor wise.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I find much more complexity in the mild and medium categories than in the full category. Significantly more. Complexity in my opinion is a cigar that progresses in flavor as compared to other blends that tend to hit the sweet spot sooner and stay consistent throughout the rest of the experience.
agreed - couldn't have put it better. It seems now days the full bodied cigars don't pay as much as attention to the flavor because they try to knock your socks off by being full flavored. With a medium or even mild cigar you can tell the flavors much more readily. Years ago I went for the full but now after 35 years I find myself enjoying the medium to medium/full bodied cigars more. Likewise years ago I was smoking the churchills but now find myself enjoying the robustos and coronas more.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Well said.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Cain and Cain F is what I consider one dimensional. Straight forward nicaraguan tobacco flavor.

Tatuaje cigars, nicaraguan spice up front, with hints of cedar, leather and pepper. can be a bit sweeter with a broadleaf wrapper.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just as another analogy, I consider the idea of complex cigars being like listening to a symphony versus listening to a soloist. The soloist can be great, and can show a wide range of notes - but a violinist isn't going to be able to produce the notes of a trumpet or timpani drum. Complexity in a cigar means that there is a lot of things going on that (very importantly) come into harmony with each other. There are lots of cigars that have lots going on but have no rhythm or harmony (otherwise referred to as balance).

And this isn't a judgement on any particular cigars. I have had some fantastic "soloist" cigars and some awful "symphony" cigars. It all lies in the hands of the blender and rollers to create that cigar that shows off the best flavors of the tobaccos being used.