What's new

Can you learn the flute by yourself?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to pick up a small hobby that could improve my music skills, and that I could hopefully learn by myself, not to the utmost advanced level but still. Google says that it is possible, but I just wanted to hear a little advice from people on here?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Can't vouch for that particular instrument, but I do know that you can easily teach yourself to read music, which will put you one huge step ahead of the game regardless of which instrument you learn to play.

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
There are a ton of resources on the web for learning how to read sheet music, and also practice and performance skills. I’d look first into videos explaining how to play the “whistle” mouthpiece of a flute, unless you’re already familiar - sorry, I don’t know your background. The flute mouthpiece can be hard to play, but there should be lots of video help available online. Then there is the fingering. This can be learned through very slow practice with some beginner sheet music and, again, you can probably find some good free educational material on YouTube. Also look for videos talking about not only fingering, but proper hand position. You don’t want to develop bad habits. I’m a Music professor, though I’m vocal and not instrumental, and I will say that taking one-on-one lessons would be the best way to go, but there is absolutely a lot you can do on your own. With guidance from an instructor, though, you’re likely to achieve better results. Certainly doesn’t have to be University-level instruction. Is there a Community College nearby with inexpensive tuition for local residents? I teach at Dallas College, and local residents can take classes for something like $60-$70 per credit hour... for the whole semester. Very cheap, comparatively. Of course it is different wherever you go. Also, they may suggest you take other classes or an ensemble, and you might not wish to go that route. Some institutions will also have an instrument you could check out as long as you’re a student. If you already have a flute, you can definitely learn a lot on your own. It does take determination and discipline, as well as a lot of time seeking out valid and high-quality resources. Good luck, and enjoy the journey!

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
YouTube is not just for "influencers" but can also be a valuable resource for learning new skills. A quick search yielded the following for me:

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The Hawaiian Spam Flute is most likely the easiest flute to play in the flute family relatively speaking.
Of course my wife is an expert at playing the Skin Flute and learned on her own in just days with a few easy steps.
Stick with it Angela and you too will be a pro in no time at all.

Growley Monster

Proud Creator of the Imperfecto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the wife plays bassoon and sax. She wanted me to learn Clarinet so we could play together. I found that I HAD to learn clarinet by myself because nobody else could stand to be near me making all those squawking, squealey sounds. On the bright side, I did manage to call in a flock of geese with it but we live in town so couldn't shoot any.

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The Hawaiian Spam Flute is most likely the easiest flute to play in the flute family relatively speaking.
Of course my wife is an expert at playing the Skin Flute and learned on her own in just days with a few easy steps.
Stick with it Angela and you too will be a pro in no time at all.
Sorry, but I feel like yet another BOT has infiltrated us.

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I just wanted to pick up a small hobby that could improve my music skills, and that I could hopefully learn by myself, not to the utmost advanced level but still. Google says that it is possible, but I just wanted to hear a little advice from people on here?
How's things going with learning to play flute Angela? We haven't heard from you in a while.