What's new

Can you tell from the tobacco used in a cigar the flavor profile?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Most of the sites list the types of tobacco used in the filler, binder and wrapper of a cigar. Does knowing these different tobaccos give you a good idea of the flavor profile of the stick or there just too many other variables? Can you use that information to select your next cigar?

If I am looking for a cigar with a lot of chocolate or pepper will certain tobaccos or countries of origin provide those flavors?

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I use it as a general indicator for what to expect, but without knowing the blend percentages, is tough to make anything more than an educated guesstimation based on the "blend details" most manufacturers provide.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If I am looking for a cigar with a lot of chocolate or pepper will certain tobaccos or countries of origin provide those flavors?
Based on that, you'd be looking for a maduro wrapped (chocolate) nicaraguan (pepper) cigar. This is a generalization but it's a great start.

Try a Padron 1964 Maduro. I think it'd fit that chocolate/pepper profile perfectly for you.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks, that's what I'm looking to learn. Nic tobaccos tend to be peppery and Maduro tends to have a lot of chocolate. I am a fan of that blend.
I read where Honduran tobacco usually have a lot of spice while Connecticut shade is milder and sweet but other then that I haven't found a whole lot of info on the web about the flavor profiles of specific tobaccos.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
let us know when you have it all figured out, cannot wait for your conclusions.
I find Honduran tobaccos to be flat tasting and earthy, Sumatran to be very drying on the palate and alkaline.
Dominican has a metallic aftertaste, Brazilian is savory and even smoky.
Nicaraguan offers a full spectrum of flavors,aromas,and textures.
Italian is spicy and slightly astringent, Broadleaf is sweet and mouth coating.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Nacho, do you think all palates will see these profiles differently or can we draw conclusions and generalizations. I'm putting your observations along with the others in my book to see if I can find any commonalities.

Thanks for your post.

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
"do you think all palates will see these profiles differently"
what are you asking?
that all palates will be able to differentiate among all tobaccos? No.
that all palates will taste what I taste ? No.
that anyone will taste what I taste? Perhaps
This is my take on the subject after more than 40 years of enjoying cigars, and many years of study on the subject of tobacco.
I have done reviews for catalog and online vendors, manufacturer growers, and some blend consulting work.
Except for Padron,I do not know a producer that can even reproduce the same flavor profile year after year.

There is too much to learn in one lifetime, and it is always changing.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm beginning to believe all palates will taste the major flavors. Pepper is obvious, if it's red pepper, cayenne pepper, black pepper or white pepper may not be so obvious. Same with chocolate but if it's cocoa, milk chocolate, dark chocolate only the more experienced palates can probably discern the differences.

When you did reviews did you look at the tobacco in the cigar and think beforehand what to expect in the cigar?

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
never.
too many variations on a theme.
Back in the late 80s,Nica tobacco had a pronounced hint of diesel fuel, after the Sandinistas burned the tobacco fields.
lasted for a couple of years.
to me,Costa Rican tobacco has a bitterness, did some work with a firm there trying to market Costa Rican cigars in the US,
and tried their portfolio.
From a little to a lot, the bitterness was noticeable.
I cannot smoke a cigar with Sumatra tobacco, it is so dry and acrid on my palate. Even if it is just the binder.
the one exception is Carillo cigars, I don't know how Ernie does it, but his Sumatra is dee-lish.
Cameroon disappeared for years in the US due to drought.
When it returned, it was different. was it seed stock, or soil depletion, fertilizer?
I used to get cheapo sticks from JR called "Crap A or Crap B" ,couple times I got a Maduro that smelled exactly like chocolate brownies.
You could smell them across the room. Honduran,I think.
It changes fast and often.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Diesel huh, reminds me of the good old days when the loads would dig through the remnants of the DEA burn piles and sell or smoke the un-burned stuff. Not going to say I had personal experience but you could smell the diesel fuel around the corner.

Thanks Nacho, very helpful post.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I look for Aganorsa leaf for a range of spices from cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg etc.
I think where the leaf is grown on the plant has a lot to do with it too.
Ligero has more strength and pepper.
Seco has more floral aromatics.
Volado makes it burn well.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I'd like to meet the cigar sommelier who can sniff a cigar and identify the blend and maker.

Sent back in time from Dr. Hoppy's phone using thinkatalk.
I know people that can identify the origin of the tobacco and at times what tobacco is in there.

I just smoke them. Don't care about any of that (other than RH.) :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had made up a whole PDF tasting guide a while back, let me see if I can dig it up.

Basically, there are 5 main flavor profiles that everyone can taste: sweet, spicy, salty, bitter, and umami. There is still a ton of debate around whether or not these "flavors" are sense on specific parts of the tongue (a lot of scientific research has claimed that all taste buds are capable of recognizing all the flavors).

Anything specific beyond that is subjective to a certain degree, based on your flavor recollection and recall abilities (and your individual body chemistry- the same reason some people love cilantro and others think it tastes like dish soap).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk