What's new

Cant cut it straight...what am I doing wrong?

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am gonna be the guy that disagrees with most of what I've seen around here. I know everyone likes their Palio, but I just can't get into them. I love my Xikar, in fact all 3 of them. I will say the new Colibri are beautiful too and cut great, but I can't get away from my Xikar's. I have a blue composite, the blue designed one, and a silver titanium with Rev B engraved on it. Love them all!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
There's a saying in the homebrewing hobby Relax Don't Worry Have a Home Brew (RDWHAHB). I think something like that would apply here. Relax Don't Worry It Will Smoke Fine (RDWIWSF). No need to worry about tiny details like that. You'll get your smoke and it will be good.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a heck of a time making straight cuts when I first started smoking cigars. I eventually figured out that, contrary to what I had assumed, punches are more idiot-proof than cutters! (And I can use all the idiot-proofing I can get!) I usually use a punch now, although of course I use a cutter on shapes that are tapered at the head. And I have found that over time, my cuts have gotten staighter.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
The quick motion probably causes you to pull back ever so slightly causing the bump you describe. I will say I sometimes get the bump and it rarely, if ever, seems to effect the draw. One option for you is to set your Xikar on a flat surface, opened up prepared to cut. Then place your cigar into the hole, leaving the Xikar on the flat and clipping it that way. Won't create the bump because you are not able to move the cutter away as you snip.
X2.

And if I'm not mistaken, most cutters of this type are designed to be used this way in order to get the "perfect" amount of the cap removed...It's designed with this measurement built in.

Of course some lop off a lot more, or even less...The depth of the cut is very subjective :)