What's new

Cant Keep It Cool Enough

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a way to keep my sticks cool during the summer? The bomb: I live in AZ. No basement. I have been taking my whole inventory out and putting them in Ziplocs and putting them in a mini fridge during the summer months. Anyone know of a product that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg or require me to do major operation to my humidor?

Attachments

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
winador. as in: converting a THERMOELECTRIC wine fridge to storage. most probably the best way to go.

you want a wine fridge because it can start at a 65ish or above temp, and not keep a hard cool on your sticks. but it will be steady (unless your power tanks). you want a thermoelectric fridge because standard condensers usually affect the stability of the humidity you are trying to maintain.

look into the storage subforum, you should find plenty of info.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
winador. as in: converting a THERMOELECTRIC wine fridge to storage. most probably the best way to go.

you want a wine fridge because it can start at a 65ish or above temp, and not keep a hard cool on your sticks. but it will be steady (unless your power tanks). you want a thermoelectric fridge because standard condensers usually affect the stability of the humidity you are trying to maintain.

look into the storage subforum, you should find plenty of info.
Thanks java! I appreciate the direction.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jesse! Yeah, it makes me sad every day I walk in the door during the summer time and its dark and empty.
Thanks Java, Ill look him up and see if he can shed any light.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Find a used wind fridge on craigslist... remove the thermoelectric unit and install it in the back of your humidor would be cheapest. Depending on size you may need a few.
A google search found this: http://www.habitatmonitor.com/products-page/systems-p/cooling-p/coolers-p/
These guys also sell a thermoelectric cooler unit: http://luxidorhumidors.com/pages/diy.html

I was also thinking a worst case could be to get one of those portable AC units that rolls around and pump that cool air into the cabinet. You'd need to get creative in where/how but it is feasable.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Z! I tried getting a little inventive last summer and I could never get it down below the high 70s for more than a few hours. Ill look into that and see if I can make something work.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Thanks Z! I tried getting a little inventive last summer and I could never get it down below the high 70s for more than a few hours. Ill look into that and see if I can make something work.
actually, if you tried modding your preexisting stash, and had added thermo units to it, what size storage did you get them from? i would say yopu would nned at LEAST two thermoelectric units from a 28 bottle for that size storage, easy (without actually seeing the measurements...).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't go the thermoelectric way last time. I did something involving running a copper coil with chilled water that ran thru another coil in a deep freeze. I honestly don't know what I was thinking. I may have had far more time than smarts. It worked for a couple hours, but then it went right back up to the mid 80s.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
f@#k that, it will almost definitely throw off your RH. either look at a vinodor to replace, or (considering you have some sexy cabinettes already), see if they can be converted and modded. but thermoelectric cooling is THE best for any premium storage that is smaller than whole room.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f@#k that, it will almost definitely throw off your RH. either look at a vinodor to replace, or (considering you have some sexy cabinettes already), see if they can be converted and modded. but thermoelectric cooling is THE best for any premium storage that is smaller than whole room.
Looking at it right now. Ill have to make sure my investment is protected. it will be worth it in the end. Just gonna have to bite the bullet and get it done. Thanks again for all your input man! I really appreciate it.