What's new

CAO Criollo - Conquistador

smokinafuente

This space for rent.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Martinsburg, WV ...Home of the Martinsburg Mafia.
CAO Criollo - Conquistador

Appearance

I get a little nervous about buying a cigar that I can't see first, but I guess that it's a good thing in this case for a review. When I ripped open that white paper rapper, I was very impressed with what was waiting below. The thing that caught my eye right off the bat was the very original and classy band. A nice simple "CAO Criollo" on what looks like charred parchment paper. The dark brown stick was nice and firm with lots of tooth. The cap of this Pyramid/Torpedo was very well formed. I did notice that a good size vain ran up the one side. Also, there was two small "lumps" in it, one near the foot and the other just above that lovely band.

Pre-light

The aroma was light and woody. On the pre-light draw, which was a little firm, there was a nice peppery flavor that I really enjoyed. Then I clipped off the first 1/2"

6:30 pm

This cigar fired up easily in a big blue cloud of smoke, then again, everything does with a Space triple torch lighter. The draw was still a little firm but manageable.

6:45 pm

I was about an inch in to it and by now the draw was tight. I then clipped another 1/4" off and the draw was near flawless. I wish I had done it earlier. The new ease of puffing, really brought out the earthy flavors with just a hint of coffee. The first and largest "lump" has now been smoked past with no issues.

7:00 pm

She is really burning nice and even with plenty of that blue smoke.

7:15 pm

Ok, now the strength has by now kicked it up a notch or two and built up to medium/full. The flavor has become more peppery.

7:30 pm

I just had to do a very miner touch up because I'm planning on nubbin this one.

7:40 pm

R.I.P. my tasty little friend, for we shall meat again.

All in all, this was an enjoyable smoke and I would have to give this cigar a 7 out of 10.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Nice review ... but I find these basically unsmokable - harsh, poorly made, and ugly, too!

Give me a Brazilia, Italia or Mx2 instead ...

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
sucol said:
Nice review ... but I find these basically unsmokable - harsh, poorly made, and ugly, too!

Give me a Brazilia, Italia or Mx2 instead ...
I'm not quite as down on these as sucol, but I have to agree that these are on my sell/give away list. Yes, pretty blue smoke. But, other than that, pretty boring IMO.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I really like these as well. I have always been pleased with each stick I have smoked. I usually keep several of these in my humi to work in the rotation. I really like Brazilia's as well, the jury is still out on the Italia's for me....

Thanks for posting the review!

Todd M.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I enjoyed the one of these I've smoked, still have 6-8 in the humis (bombed/gifted the rest). I have one Italia I just got from a generous BOTL here at BOTL (heheh) that I'm drooling over everytime I open the humi. Beautiful looking cigar. I'll be interested to see how it smokes.