What's new

Car flooded out (Rated: AL) [Out of shop!]

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Yep, my car that I just got back yesterday was flooded out. We've had big rain the last several days with not even a inch of rain in the month of June. Today, two very bad weather systems hit Houston hard.

I figured that it couldn't be as bad as when Tropical Storm Allison hit 4 years ago. The area I lived in didn't see nowhere near as much flooding as I witnessed on my way home to work. I got to a block from my house and my car stalled. The water was up to the bottom of my car doors. After about 10 retries, I got going again and finally to the drive way where I felt a feeling of relief not to be stranded out of my driveway and then... fucking WOOSHHH! A 1/2 dozen gallon of water enters the car from the water buildup under the hood. Boy am I fucking pissed. I guess it's only my own fault but god dammit I got my car back yesterday from the shop. The floorboards are wet-vac'd up and should be okay. The car mechanics; not okay. It runs and goes forward and backwards but my engine sounds like a go-kart and there's some gasoline/oil spileage streaks in the driveway.

This is the worst local area flooding in my entire life. I couldn't fucking believe some of the streets that have held up years and years of tropical storms, severe summer storms and a few hurricanes.

So yeah, I chewed and ranted to Dave via phone. Thanks for lending the two ears bro!

I had got online to type this same post but power went out, only furthering my frustration. Add to that I've been up for 35 hours without sleep.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Sorry, did my cussin' make you rate the thread? At any rate, good luck to you bro'. Hope it all works out. And for cryin' out loud, GET SOME SLEEP!

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Sorry, did my cussin' make you rate the thread? At any rate, good luck to you bro'. Hope it all works out. And for cryin' out loud, GET SOME SLEEP!
:rofl: No, mine did.

Sleep? Sleep is overrated. :p I still have to eat & make a work order & see if I can make a claim on the car.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Any car mech-heads here? I'm trying to get an idea of the possiblities on the extent of damange to my car.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The worst thing you can do to a car that had been drenched in water is start it.

we dont sell or deal with water damage/flood cars but I know from experience that water and oil do not mix.

All the fluids need to be drained and replaced. Distributor and coil need to be unhooked and blown dry do that around sensors under the hood as well, air filter changed.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Dang Eric, that is some seriosly tough luck man...go look at your baby while he's asleep for a little reminder of what's really important in life. :thumbsup:

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Water and cars don't mix. John's exactly right and the sooner the better because corrosion will start to set in otherwise. Then it's just a matter of time for the electrical system to start shorting out and/or corroding apart. Not right away mind you, but much later. The trans fluid and engine oil should be changed along with the filters because they both have vents and will let water in. The coolant system is sealed but it's cheap enough that you shouldn't take a chance. Take some compressed air to those sensors and electrical connections under the hood and dash too.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Auto shop called yesterday and said there's a 1x2 inch hole in the bottom of the engine block from the rod. He says he's really suprised that my insurance hasn't totaled out the car yet. But the insurance inspector is going to go back out today or tomorrow and look at it and make a decision.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
They're going to fully replace the engine with one with 19k miles on it, shipped from Nebraska. Should have the car back on Friday.

So now, do I trade my car in as soon as I get it back as downpayment on a new truck? You know how bad things come in 3's and I don't want #3 with that car to be something more serious.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The reality check for me is..

A. Now I have no car payment.

B. Now I have new car, and car payments for five years.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
allanf said:
The reality check for me is..

A. Now I have no car payment.

B. Now I have new car, and car payments for five years.
Agreed, but with my bad luck with the car... it could be worth it. I've been wanting a truck so I'm not really sure now. I honestly thought the insurance company would total it out. They've spent like twice as much as my car is worth in a single month.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
vipe said:
Agreed, but with my bad luck with the car... it could be worth it. I've been wanting a truck so I'm not really sure now. I honestly thought the insurance company would total it out. They've spent like twice as much as my car is worth in a single month.
I say if it won't break your back-

Go for it... :applause:

I shell out about $550/month for my car(car payment only)_. Imagine what $550/month in upgrades, new tires, etc is....But ah well, now I have a 2 year old car, stll making payments for another year and then I either have to give it back or finance 28K to buy it, at three year old car at that point and by the time I finish paying for it it will be an eight year old car..

It can be un-ending....