What's new

Car not shifting, help!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My car will not shift out of park although the shifter whill physically move between the gears (Automatic). It feels as if the shifter is "looser" than normal, so I am assuming that something between the shifter and the transmission has broken. Anybody experience this before or have advice? The dealership is closed for the next hour and I am wondering if it is worth towing to them (not sure how to get it out of the garage) and having them look at it or is it something I can fix. Give me your advice....not really in a good position to be buying a new car.

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
My car will not shift out of park although the shifter whill physically move between the gears (Automatic). It feels as if the shifter is "looser" than normal, so I am assuming that something between the shifter and the transmission has broken. Anybody experience this before or have advice? The dealership is closed for the next hour and I am wondering if it is worth towing to them (not sure how to get it out of the garage) and having them look at it or is it something I can fix. Give me your advice....not really in a good position to be buying a new car.
What kind of car? Chances are the shift linkage either broke, or came off. Shouldn't be a real expensive fix if that is the issue.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Guess assumption would also be the shift linkage. On a standard, it's not too difficult (or expensive) of a fix. No idea how it even really works on an automatic but I assume it's relatively the same.