What's new

Cardboard box or Wood in a Coolidor?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Hey guys,

For a coolidor, which is better the cardboard boxes (actually wood now a days) or actual wood dress boxes? I am using mostly cardboard boxes, but I can switch over to dress boxes if they are better for storing Cigars in a coolidor.

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I also use cedar boxes in the cooler. I initially "seasoned" the cooler by leaving it open outside for a week; then filled it with open cedar cigar boxes. As I started putting boxes into it I'd remove an empty to make room. This keeps a lot of board-feet of cedar exposed, so fluctuations in RH are minimal and very gradual. I will probably not ever have any partial boxes in the cooler, instead pulling a box and putting the contents in my large humidor. I do have three boxes that contain different cigars than what's on the box, but they're still all completely full. I don't have a real reason for this other than it separates my "boxes in storage that I can't think about" from "the sticks in my humidor any of which I can smoke".

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
well, maybe I will work on switching over to dress boxes. My tobacco store has a lot of them. So what the hell, if it holds humidity better than that would be a better way to go.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Out of curiosity...what cigars come in "paper" boxes?

For that matter, what boxes used to be cardboard but are now made of wood???

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
If your talking empty boxes to eat up some space, the more wood to help regulate the RH and help make keeping it that way the better. The all wood cabinet boxes would be the best. For storage if loading up sticks in the boxes pretty much the same thing. If your buying full boxes, just keep the sticks in whatever packaging they come in.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Out of curiosity...what cigars come in "paper" boxes?

For that matter, what boxes used to be cardboard but are now made of wood???
I am wondering the same thing.

All boxes I have seen are made of cedar...some are wrapped in paper though, for decoration. Those are what most refer to as a "dress box".'

:dunno:

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
A few examples are Quintero, Los Statos Deluxe, and RyJ Cazadores come in cardboard, the sticks are wrapped in aluminum foil from some pics I saw in the MRN. I am sure more than that do in non Cuban, but I have no reference book beyond that one.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Yeah, I think he is describing dress boxes which are wood wrapped in paper and the SBN is Semi Boite Nature all wood boxes like Padron's come in?

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Yeah, I thnk he has his terminology all mixed up.

But in addition, I really can't recall every seeing a cigar box that WASN'T made out of wood.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I am wondering the same thing.

All boxes I have seen are made of cedar...some are wrapped in paper though, for decoration. Those are what most refer to as a "dress box".'

:dunno:
I know La Vieja Habana come in cardboard "cereal box" type boxes. Also, aren't CAO Brazilia and Italia in cardboard?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Sorry guys, Just look at a lot of your Fuente boxes like the chateau line, or the patagas lines, All N.C. They are just a thinner wooden box with paper covering over. Not the higher end solid wood dress boxes. I have mostly the paper covered boxes. Should I go to dress Boxes for better humidity control?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
You are describing dress boxes. The other all wood are know as semi boite nature which are all wood like Padron. I hope that helps and am calling you now.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Sorry guys, Just look at a lot of your Fuente boxes like the chateau line, or the patagas lines, All N.C. They are just a thinner wooden box with paper covering over. Not the higher end solid wood dress boxes. I have mostly the paper covered boxes. Should I go to dress Boxes for better humidity control?
Yup, you're confused. Maye this will help (assuming I remember everything correctly, at least! LOL)

• DRESS BOX = Paper-covered wood box
  • SLIDE LID BOX (SLB) = wood box with sliding, non-hinged lid
  • SEMI BOITE NATURE (SBN) = wood box, hinged, often locked/latched, no inside collars
  • BOITE NATURE = wood box, hinged, collared, and lock/latch.

:yes: