What's new

Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon Churchill

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
This will be my first ever cigar review, so bear with me. I did not see a review of these so I figured to give it a shot.

An acquaintance recommended that I try these, saying that they were a really a good smoke. Normally, I prefer the smaller sizes, but do enjoy the occasional Churchill. I have also found, that at least among NC's, that a Churchill is often an indicator of the quality of a particular line. So, about three months ago I bought a fiver. I like to go by the rule that you should never judge a cigar by one stick and personally, almost always try three to five just to be fair. I figured I would smoke one fresh, then one each month after sitting in the humidor. To further balance my review, I did not smoke any habanos for two or three days before smoking the Torano. I limited my smokes to Padrons and a couple of Wavells and PI Especial #4's. Last week I smoked Torano number four and am fairly confident in my personal judgment of these smokes. I would never smoke these again unless offered one on the golf course and will gift the last one. That is the short version for those who want to stop here.

The 1916 is a gorgeous stick. It is straight, unform, and the wrapper is dark, oily and fairly smooth. The veins are very small and in no way detract from the beauty of this cigar. It is truly beautiful. The cap is well made and after a Xikar cut I had no problems with unraveling. Pre-light draw was smooth and just right for a Churchill. Warming gave off some pleasant aromas, but nothing striking. The cigar starts off very smooth. The smoke was not as abundant as I would prefer and lacks character. Unfortunately, that is pretty much the entire review. These smokes never seemed to change. They never developed any complexity or special flavors. They were remarkably consistent throughout the entire length of all four sticks. For a smoker who likes a smooth, gentle, unchanging cigar, these might be the ticket. For those who are looking for a more forceful experience, I recommending bypassing these.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Nice review.

Have you tried the 1959 Silver? As I agree with your profile of the 1916 line(much too mild for my taste) the 1959 to me is an amazing smoke, especially the robusto.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I guess cigars are just like wine...some folks like some, others hate your favorite. I just got home with a new box of Robustos and have just finished off a box of Torps...I really like them. As a matter of fact, I like the entire Torano line....

Randy

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
Fox, great revies and I agree. Great lookin smoke but was just bland. Good yard stick!!!!!!! Can't wait to see your review on a smoke you do like!

Doofus

Spoon!
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very nice review, Fox.

I have to agree. I was very much looking forward to them when they came out 2 years or so ago, since I'm a big Torano fan and I love cameroon-wrapped cigars (Fuente, IT Cameroon Legend...) but these just have tasted flat to me. I've tried giving them some humi timme to develop, but they just don't do it for me.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Doofus said:
Very nice review, Fox.

I have to agree. I was very much looking forward to them when they came out 2 years or so ago, since I'm a big Torano fan and I love cameroon-wrapped cigars (Fuente, IT Cameroon Legend...) but these just have tasted flat to me. I've tried giving them some humi timme to develop, but they just don't do it for me.
I too, really like the Cameroon wrapped Hemingway's. Something is not right with the blend in the 1916's.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up.

I agree with your assesment as well. To my palate these are just bland, unidimensional, and boring. Not bad, just unintersting. If you haven't already, you might try the '59 Golds, as well as the Silvers that were mentioned earlier.

_____
mg