What's new

Carne Guisada

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I beg yer pardon on the delay; but here it is: a recipe for a traditional Boricua dish: Carne guisada.

Ingredients:

1/2 tblsp. Vegetal oil
1 pound Beef; cleaned and cut in 1 inch cubes
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 ajíes dulces, seeded and chopped(small sweet pepper. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ají_dulce)
1 White onion, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, minced
4 Culantro leaves, minced (if ye cannot find some, ye can substitute for a good amount of cilantro leaves)
1 tblsp. Vinegar
1 Bay leaf
1/4 tsp. Oregano, dried
1/2 tblsp. Salt
1/4 cup Fried, pureed tomato
3 tbsp. Achiote (Annato) tinted oil (ye can do this by infusing 1 cup of oil with 1/2 cup of achiote seeds)(can be substituted for a pack of seasoning with achiote or saffron)
1/4 pound Carrots, sliced
1 pound Petit-pois peas, boiled (save the water)
1/4 pound Potato, diced
6 Stuffed olives
1/2 tblsp. Capers
Salt
1/8 cup Raisins

Procedure:

Heat a big pot. Add the oil and the meat, cooking in mid-high flame until sealed (not longer red). Add the pepper and ají, the onion, the garlic, and the culantro leaves. Then add the vinegar, oregano, tomato, bay leaf and salt. Stir until it boils, then lower the heat to low flame; cover and cook for ~1 hour. Add the achiote, carrots, and peas' water (set the peas aside). Turn the heat to high flame until it boils, lower it back to low flame, cover again and cook for another hour or until the meat is almost tender. Add the potato, olives, capers, salt, and raisins. High flame until it boils again; and then lower the flame and cover for the last time. Once the meat is tender and the vegetables are cooked, add the peas and cook, uncovered, until the sauce thickens.

This recipe might take a tad; but it really pays off. Also, ye have the advantage that it all goes in one pot, and that once ye cover it (each of the 3 times), ye just leave it cooking for the hour. Hope ye all enjoy it as much as I do. Let me know what ye'd like the next one to be.

Last edited:

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ye mean achiote :smokingbo.
Yeah, I skipped it (sorry, I'm working from memory here).

Edited.