What's new

Carter Hall (John Middleton, Inc.) - PToM Apr 2015 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

CARTER HALL
Brand:
John Middleton, Inc.
Blend Type: Aromatic VA/Bur
Contents: Burley, Virginia
Flavoring: Bourbon, Cocoa / Chocolate
Cut: Ribbon
Packaging: 1.5oz pouch, 14oz tub

From pipesandcigars.com:

Carter Hall is a benchmark for OTC tobacco. Mellow Burleys are cross-cut and blended with some flake-cut Virginias and finished with a subtle top note. This cool-smoking blend has been part of the American pipe-smoking landscape for decades and delivers a comforting, bite-free experience; an ideal all-day smoke.​

Prior PToM reviews can be found HERE

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
To spice things up a bit this year, I'm going to start doing a little giveaway each month.
For each person that reviews the PToM, I'll add a half ounce sample to the pot, up to a max of 2oz. total. Then, at the end of the month, I'll draw a winner from the lot who posted reviews and send them their winnings. Just a little juice to hopefully boost participation. Reviews don't need to be in any special format or super in-depth, just let us know what you thought of the PToM, what you liked, what you didn't. Maybe what it reminded you of. Pictures are great, too. Just share your thoughts, enjoy, and have fun.
Cool draws & sweet smokes, Brothers!

REVIEWS:
Doc Sixstring
daleo8803
SeaGarr
Lostmason
ChiefIlliniwek <= WINNER
rdomfoto

Project Link: http://www.randompicker.com/protocol/185658x24708

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... ISO Carter Hall
:rolleyes:
Do they actually still sell this at "drug stores"?
I know CVS dropped their tobacco lines. Any other places a guy could look outside of an internet order?
My Walgreens sells some pipe tobaccos. I am going to have a look tomorrow and report back. Would hate to have to make an order and then fill up the cart for free shipping when next months blend may cause me to do the same LOL - :facepalm:

Of course... there is that pipe I was eyeing. That should get me over the min for free shipping lol.

Doc Sixstring

Patience and practice
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin Aroma: Nutty, sugary sweet, almost sickly chemical sweetness

Taste: Roasted nuts, faint chocolate and molasses

Strength and Nicotine: Very mild, easily able to smoke this one all day long

Smokeability: A+, super easy to burn properly

Room Note: Nuts, natural tobacco, very light

Thoughts: I'm a big fan of this blend, especially considering the price. However, I'd like it more if they went lighter on the PG topping

Recommend to: Beginners and veterans

Summary: Great blend, worth the money every time. Many smokers' go-to for caking up pipes.

Sorry for jumping the gun, but I've had this one in my arsenal for quite some time and I've been looking for a reason to take a look at my notes

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
@SeaGarr, you know I'd be doing the same thing! Walgreens we have. Let me know what you find...
+1 here too. CVS here in NY did away with all baccy period. And I can't find this anywhere. Rite Aid had a few pouches of borkum riff but that was it. Keep us posted where I might be able to find this so I can get in on the madness lol.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well the journey really began at CVS pharmacy, but I hit up Walgreens too and well, maybe we shouldn't be calling these tobaccos "pharmacy tobaccos" anymore lol. Neither had the old standby tobaccos.

But this guy did!

Packaged in the oddest way.

Sold in little boxes for $2.99. I thought I might as well pick up the Prince and give that a try as that was what I voted for for no other reason than I wanted to try it lol.

When I opened it:

I noted it was packaged in this little bag - its about 1/3 the size you of a normal sized pouch - which is odd as it is 1.5 oz. Whatever, what bothered me was that it wasn't sealed. Hmmm.

I didn't "feel" the freshness BUT you know what, it burnt ok.

Its a mild blend. There is nothing shocking about it at all, but it doesn't bore you either. Just a nice mild smoke that hints at spice. I can see why people would think it a good everyday smoke.

Flavours? Yeah some. The saliva at the very back of my mouth under my tongue are getting hints of the nut everyone talks about. A little black pepper at the beginning and end of the bowl. But its all mild.

Now that my bowl is done, I wouldn't mind another lol.

Yeah... if you had a long day full of surprises, and don't think you can handle another for the life of you? Smoke a bowl oh this stuff and chill.

Note - Please don't add my name to the draw/giveaway.​

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Alright, so after using the "Where to smoke" app from Cigar Aficionado I found that a discount cigarette place about 15-20 mins away from me might have this baccy. According to their website, they carry it as well as pipes and other fun pipe and cigar accessories and products. I'll keep you guys posted when hopefully I track this stuff down and can get a review. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so after using the "Where to smoke" app from Cigar Aficionado I found that a discount cigarette place about 15-20 mins away from me might have this baccy. According to their website, they carry it as well as pipes and other fun pipe and cigar accessories and products. I'll keep you guys posted when hopefully I track this stuff down and can get a review. Keeping my fingers crossed.
So does it turn out you have a local pusher of all things tobacco? More importantly, did you get what you needed for a review?