What's new

Carter Hall (John Middleton, Inc.) - PToM Apr 2015 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it at walmarts neighborhood market.for those who are still looking.

Blend Contents:Ribbon cut Viginian and burley
Pipe
r.Grabow non-filtered straight
Pouch Note:Slight aroma or apricots
Prep:None,loaded the pipe using the "Frank" method

Notes:
This is the first time I've tried CH,and will not be the last.The cut and
moisture content made loading fast and easy.The initial light came with
memories of grilling with peach wood.A sweet dry flavor with hints of
saltyness around the edges.I didn't have to relight,the CH burned well
and smooth clear to the bottom.A very cool smoke in the hand as well as
in the mouth.This OTC is welcome in my cellar any day.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm usually over on the cigar side of things, but I've been getting into the pipe over the last month or so. I've only smoked Carter Hall, and some B&M blends I bought up in Downer's Grove. I smoked a bowl of CH last night while working in the garage, followed up by one of the B&M blends.

Source: half a small pouch from @thedismaltrade in early March
Pipe: MM cob bent stem, unfiltered

From the jar that I've stored the pouch in I can pick up the nutty flavor that other reviewers have talked about. The bowl packs easily, using the three pack method. Last night's pack was by far the best I've had in my limited piping experience. The first light goes fine, and I tamp before starting my true light. The smoke is definitely mild bodied. I again pick up the nutty flavors in the smoke, along with a touch of maybe a touch of a citrus sweetness. I think that's got to be the bourbon flavoring. The bowl smokes great, only requiring one relight (because my wife called me into the house). I definitely don't have any complaints about this tobacco. I can see why it's recommended to beginners and to break in new pipes. It would go great with coffee in the morning. I'm just about out of the sample that Dismal gave me, so I'll be moving on to the B&M blends I bought, along with the samples that he gave me from the Newbie Sampler Trade. I'll definitely buy more CH whenever I need to break in the next pipe (whenever I break down and buy one).

I hope this review isn't terrible. I've never actually done one for either a cigar or a pipe. Since I happened to have some CH on hand, I figured I'd give it a try.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm usually over on the cigar side of things, but I've been getting into the pipe over the last month or so. I've only smoked Carter Hall, and some B&M blends I bought up in Downer's Grove. I smoked a bowl of CH last night while working in the garage, followed up by one of the B&M blends.

Source: half a small pouch from @thedismaltrade in early March
Pipe: MM cob bent stem, unfiltered

From the jar that I've stored the pouch in I can pick up the nutty flavor that other reviewers have talked about. The bowl packs easily, using the three pack method. Last night's pack was by far the best I've had in my limited piping experience. The first light goes fine, and I tamp before starting my true light. The smoke is definitely mild bodied. I again pick up the nutty flavors in the smoke, along with a touch of maybe a touch of a citrus sweetness. I think that's got to be the bourbon flavoring. The bowl smokes great, only requiring one relight (because my wife called me into the house). I definitely don't have any complaints about this tobacco. I can see why it's recommended to beginners and to break in new pipes. It would go great with coffee in the morning. I'm just about out of the sample that Dismal gave me, so I'll be moving on to the B&M blends I bought, along with the samples that he gave me from the Newbie Sampler Trade. I'll definitely buy more CH whenever I need to break in the next pipe (whenever I break down and buy one).

I hope this review isn't terrible. I've never actually done one for either a cigar or a pipe. Since I happened to have some CH on hand, I figured I'd give it a try.
Nice review of it! We all have different palates and probably will all have different flavors or opinions on the body of the baccy when we smoke.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
So had a second bowl to determine if my thoughts from the first one were still valid... and they are.

First impressions - the tin note was pleasant but not "fantastic". A nice, natural aroma that I felt was earthy but could certainly pick up slight sweetness of cocao. As others have noted - and as its reputation goes - it was easy to pack and stayed lit for the duration of the bowl. I can now see why it's such a great baccy for new pipers. I know at least a couple of guys who gave up on the pipe because they found the constant relights to be distracting. I wonder if they were to try CH if they would change their minds. On the other hand, I've gotten better at packing so that would have helped me.

Once lit, it was a nice, gentle smoke. The first 5 minutes or so was enjoyable but certainly not a complex flavor. After that initial first few minutes, I started to realize that the lack of complexity was really a lack of depth. Much like drinking a glass of a cheap wine - you get the initial flavor but it dissipates quickly and you're left feeling that the taste was "incomplete". I was retrohaling on every puff, trying to pull more flavor out but it just wasn't there. Afterward, I read a couple of product descriptions to see if I was agreeing with what others had written or not (not that it would have changed my opinion, I was just curious). They all say that it's flavored with bourbon, chocolate and cocoa. I picked up the cocoa and, in hindsight, I could see the chocolate (the difference for me is that chocolate is sweeter than unprocessed cocoa) but I didn't get any of the bourbon.

So, in the end, it was fine and if I was out walking around and wanted a nice, gentle baccy to smoke, I wouldn't say "no" to a bowl of CH. But I can't say I would run out and buy a bunch more. For a new piper, though, I would definitely recommend a pouch of CH for four reasons: 1) it's easy to pack 2) wants to stay lit 3) at a current price of $3.64 for the 1½ ounce pouch, you won't find yourself financially committed to smoking it if you just don't like the pipe, and 4) the smoke was cooler than I was expecting (which I appreciate).

I have no doubt that my thoughts on the flavor of CH would be different if it was the first baccy I smoked when I got into piping. But, after finding some stronger and/or more flavorful tobaccos that I enjoy (like the Frog Morton series, Nightcap, H&H Admirality, etc.) as well as leaning toward English blends, the flavors of CH are just too non-existent for me to put it into regular rotation.

Tobacco Age: 1 year (2014)
Pipe: Medico Canadian (straight stem), no filter
Tin Note: pleasant with cocoa hints
Strength: Mild. DEFINITELY mild
Score: 7 out of 10