What's new

Casa Magna - Like It?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Manuel Quesada and Nestor Plasencia Casa Magna. :clap: I tried one a couple days ago and almost tripped over my own feet getting back to the box to buy more of them. I had the Robusto, by the way, anyone know all the sizes? I know they have a Belicoso, Robusto and Toro...?

Absolutely great cigar. I'm a Nicaraguan fanatic, and this thing hit the spot like nothing else has in a long while. Has a great, earthy start, flavorful leather w/ wood notes, which is very enjoyable, but about half way through, these tastes of cedar-cinnamony sweetness hits like a brick wall, so I'd have to say this is a great cigar. :drool: I bought the robusto for $5.00 and I would say I'd pay double for it. Only complaint I had is, when I got near the band, I wanted to keep smoking, but the band is damn near glued on with Loctite, so it was a little bit of a hassle to get off.

Anyone else had the pleasure?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Matt, when I get the package out I'll be sure to stuff one in there for you to try out, you like me will love it...I'm 99% sure of it!

Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Matt, when I get the package out I'll be sure to stuff one in there for you to try out, you like me will love it...I'm 99% sure of it!
Thanks T, I'll just add another to the package as well...once again the stick total increases everyday.

THANKS!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Great cigar. I liked this a lot better than the Viso Fuerte. It had a lot of balance and complexity. The strength was there but not overwhelming the other flavors. I think i tried the petite lancero size...

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The Corona? 6x46? Zen, you going to do a review on the cigar...any size (or did you?)? I enjoy your notes. :thumbsup:

I love that the price is so low. Especially if tobacco taxes are going up soon, even with the added $$$ on the cigar, it's worthe the money, tastes, smokes, and looks like a $8 cigar.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The Corona? 6x46? Zen, you going to do a review on the cigar...any size (or did you?)? I enjoy your notes. :thumbsup:

I love that the price is so low. Especially if tobacco taxes are going up soon, even with the added $$$ on the cigar, it's worthe the money, tastes, smokes, and looks like a $8 cigar.
I don't think i did, but one is most definitely around the corner. :yes:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I smoke the torpedo. Got my first one from the Fonseca rep before they were released. I do not find the complexity in this cigar you guys do but for the price, it is a decent stick.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I smoke the torpedo. Got my first one from the Fonseca rep before they were released. I do not find the complexity in this cigar you guys do but for the price, it is a decent stick.
Really? Huh...maybe it differs form the Robusto to the Torpedo? Everyone I've talked to has noticed the flavors that are introducd about half way through. I haven't tried the Torpedo though, so I'm only speaking off of the knowledge/taste of one vitola. Like you said though, the price? Can't go wrong for $5 [Robusto].

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Really? Huh...maybe it differs form the Robusto to the Torpedo? Everyone I've talked to has noticed the flavors that are introducd about half way through. I haven't tried the Torpedo though, so I'm only speaking off of the knowledge/taste of one vitola. Like you said though, the price? Can't go wrong for $5 [Robusto].
The one I smoked yesterday afternoon was a nice sized torp and it was $5,45 before tax. These are sleepers and will definitely have an image problem, I told Brad from Fonseca if he charged $12 he might draw more people. He said they make an excelleny cigar at a good price so more people can afford to smoke them. The average cigar snob looks down his nose at Fonseca for some reason. Even JWIntosh when talking about his new B&M in La Mesa said they carry a lot of low end stuff "like Fonseca". I think this is one of the best cigars for the value I have had in a long time. IMHO

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The one I smoked yesterday afternoon was a nice sized torp and it was $5,45 before tax. These are sleepers and will definitely have an image problem, I told Brad from Fonseca if he charged $12 he might draw more people. He said they make an excelleny cigar at a good price so more people can afford to smoke them. The average cigar snob looks down his nose at Fonseca for some reason. Even JWIntosh when talking about his new B&M in La Mesa said they carry a lot of low end stuff "like Fonseca". I think this is one of the best cigars for the value I have had in a long time. IMHO
Agreed. There are also issues, or so I'm told by a couple local B&M owners, with how they can advertise, such as: retailers cannot advertise their Casa Magna stock online, all sales must be face-to-face. Now, for one local large B&M, that chops a huge amount of their sales with that one stipulation. I think that as time moves on though, and if certain taxes are tacked on, interest might grow.

Gummi Bear

Righteously Indignant
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Huh.

Maybe I should try another.

I got a pre-release from Fonseca also (~6x60) and I thought it tasted like a cigarette. I wasn't impressed. Sounds like I may have gotten a dud.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I don't know if I had a pre-release, but I had tried one about three months ago. I thought it was very good, but I need to definitely revisit this.

I recently tried a prototype for Atlantic Cigar's new house blend that was incredibly good though. I can still taste it from three weeks ago... Can't wait for that release!

Same kind of rich, oily, peppery, leathery goodness...

Draco

Draco
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I'm not a big fan of Quesada creations but he definitely did it right with this Casa Magna. I'm smoking a torpedo right now as I'm relaxing at a Berkely coffee shop and I'm really enjoying this cigar! There's definitely a lot of complexity to this smoke: very smooth with lots of toffee and coffee notes, covered by a nice woodsy nuance. I also tasted coconut at one point and now a touch of mint. Construction was perfect: great draw, cracked ash but held tightly, and a great burn. Two people who walked by actually commented on how wonderful the aroma was. I'm definitely impressed. For around $5-6, it's definitely a Nicaraguan puro worth trying.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I just got a box of these after hearing some rumors that will cause people to buy them like hotcakes...I wanted to get a box in before they ran out (since they seem to be such a small operation...)

If you want to try them, I would buy now...

BTW, got the Robusto box for about $130 (about $4.50 each)...

~brooks