What's new

Cazadore Battle Review

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Tatuaje Cazadore(NC) vs. Romeo y Julieta Cazadore(CC)
(not sure which section this should go in so mods please feel free to move it if needed)

This is a review I have wanted to do for some time now comparing these two sticks after Electric D-sicle made a comment comparing the two sticks a few months back. The Tatuaje Cazadores have been a favorite of mine for some time now. I had asked several people what they thought was the best way to go about a review of two similar sticks. The popular opinion was to review one each day and take notes to compare, smoking them back to back was considered a bad idea as the palette won't be fresh after the first one to pick up the subtleties. So after a nice big breakfast, I figure the best way to do a head to head was to smoke them both at the same time, so here goes.

Both of these cigars are beautifully constructed with the RyJ having a bit rougher and lighter colored wrapper. Both are Lonsdale sized cigars(6 3/8 x 43). Pre-light draw was pretty similar of a earth/floral taste with the Tatuaje having a slight pepper taste to it.

First Third
Tatuaje - Draw is slightly on the tight side but smoking good. Pepper and cedar dominate the first few puffs with a slight coffee flavour in the background. Full flavour and full strength

Romeo y Julieta - Draw on this is perfect. Flavour is that of an earthy flavour, slight cedar, slight pepper and a bit of a hint of a citrus flavour. Full flavour and full strength right from the start as well.

Burns are pretty good on both at this point and the RyJ is definitely burning a little faster due to the slightly looser draw.

Second Third
Tatuaje - Slight cedar and slight pepper with a rich tobacco flavour. Burn is solid, ash is a very light gray and falling off around 3/4 of an inch. The draw has openned up a bit and is now producing a good amount of smoke.

Romeo y Julieta - Citrus is still slightly present and there is a bit of pepper when retrohaled. Rich earthy tobacco flavour and the strength has picked up just a bit. Ash is a marbled gray/black and very flaky as well falling off a little over a half an inch. A slight touch up was needed as well.

Final Third
Tatuaje - Pretty consistant full strength throughout the cigar, the pepper did pick up a quite a bit during the final third. A hint of cocoa to the finish as well. Retrohale at this point is very peppery. Solid burn the entire time never requiring a touchup.

Romeo y Julitea - This stick has really built in strength from the first third and was leaving a tingle on the tongue after each puff. Retrohaling there is a heavy cedar flavour to it with some pepper as well. The earthy/floral flavour has faded but there is still a citrus flavour there. A few touchups were required but pretty solid burn throughout.

It's hard to pick one over the other, as they are both great sticks. Both were pretty similar in strength with the edge going to the RyJ as a more full strength stick. The RyJ seemed to have a bit more flavour to it as well. The Tatuaje had more of a peppery taste to it where the RyJ seemed to have more of a floral/citrus flavour. I found the RyJ to be a more rounded stick as far as developing as it went along, the Tatuaje was very consistant as it burned mostly picking up strength in the final third. Total burn time was a little over an hour and fourty five minutes to nub both sticks.

Last edited:

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I'm not sure my pallet is that refined to compare two smokes at the same time. Impessive to say the least. Thanks for a great review. I have had neither of these so I found it very helpfull should I locate one of them.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
He'll of a review once again! If anyone has never had either grab some aged ones of both and you won't be dissapointed!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Great "side-by-side" review Craig! :clap:

If I remember correctly the RyJ required several "touchups" during the smokeoff and that the Tatuaje burned just fine.