What's new

CC Journey 2014

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Over the past 4 years of smoking (7 total; but 4 serious collecting) Ive been slowly incorporating CC's into my "diet" of sticks.

This year started with my interest peaking when the brothers on the board wanted to have a "scientific" analysis too see if CC's or NC's where plugged more frequently, and required the subjects to smoke an almost even number of each type of stick. Because of personal reasons (and me not smoking for 6-7 months this year) I wasn't able to participate in the level I wanted too.

Last week I was smoking a UF-4 with two other brothers on the board (both heavy and frequent NC and CC smokers) and was surprised that I found the stick too be less strong then the two of them. I have an "iron palette" and I'm looking to change that and move back towards the subtle nuances of smoking again.

Over the past few months Ive been smoking less and trying to smoke higher end sticks (NC and CC) in order to "cut the fat" and really enjoy my sticks.

When I was in the industry (shop manager) I was smoking 5-7 a day and not really paying attention to quality or cost; more just too smoke.

In the past few weeks Ive been keeping my cigars at 5-8 a week and leaning mostly too CC's (80-90%) and Ive found that I started enjoying cigars like I never did before. Im smoking slower, and enjoying my cigars more. I dropped the RH% in my humidors last month too 62 and the CC's have really been "shining" (NC's better combustion and flavor as well)

I know that there are brothers on the board that smoke CC's exclusively; some based on location (maverick drinker;Art) and some by choice (surpriseMVP;Mike)

Ive decided that 2014 is going to be my "test", and Im going to smoke CC's exclusively the entire year too see if I enjoy cigars more (or less) and too see how my palate and preferences change.

I have a few celebratory NC's that I plan on ending the year with and then Ill take the plunge on the 1st (maybe this will cut down on my $$ random trips too the B&M's when Im bored as well :) )

Or course ill still collect NC's and purchase when Im HERF'ing with brothers to support locals; as well as trade and bomb the crap out of brothers :)

Has anyone else done anything similar? Thoughts?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
A year is a LONG time... be careful what you wish for. You should add me to Mike's list as I smoke mainly CC's by choice after being a Nicaraguan Connecticut broadleaf whore a few years ago. As much as I prefer CC's, it's still nice to throw in a NC every now and then to mix it up. Every now and then I can be in the mood for a good full-bodied cigar and luckily I can do that with some NC's that are still hanging around the humi.

If you truly want to do it for a full year I wish you well and to have fun along the journey. But, you might not want to put the pressure on yourself and maybe limit yourself to 1 NC every couple weeks or month etc.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
CC's are the way to go im learning. Ever since I was introduced to them I don't want to smoke anything but them (and a very few select nc brands lol). Just a better profile in CC's for me

Have fun bro!

Having an HUHC while I type this :)

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
2011 i was about 70% cc
2012 I was more like 90% cc
2013 I have smoked one cigar not a cc cause i was stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I have nothing against nc, but obviously prefer cc

Mike

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
you could experiment, go CC for a few weeks, try some NC's to compare, go back to CC for a month, try some more NC's and compare again (keep repeating for longer periods for the whole year). And of course, post your findings :)

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Forgot to mention that when i herfed with Art he tried to smoke a 4kicks or something cause everyone raved about them. It lasted all of about 30 seconds before he pitched it in the big stinky and lit up a 10 bhk54

Mike

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
you could experiment, go CC for a few weeks, try some NC's to compare, go back to CC for a month, try some more NC's and compare again (keep repeating for longer periods for the whole year). And of course, post your findings :)
Thats basically what the past month has been for me; and the CC's are shining through.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Forgot to mention that when i herfed with Art he tried to smoke a 4kicks or something cause everyone raved about them. It lasted all of about 30 seconds before he pitched it in the big stinky and lit up a 10 bhk54

Mike
That is hilarious... and you had too mention my least favorite NC as well :) (I love the mule kick and headley grange is good... but the regular four kicks line doesn't do it for me)

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Thats basically what the past month has been for me; and the CC's are shining through.
well you gotta go with what you're enjoying, that's for sure.

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
Yeah, that's a serious commitment. I do love the cc's like everyone else, I find myself reaching for some of my favorite NC's frequently as well.i had about 35 boxes of NC's at the end of spring and sold them off to convert to cc's. The thing is I have a shit ton of Ligas, Tats and Viaje's. All of which I enjoy. I don't experiment with NC's like I use to. I know what I like and that's what I smoke. Good luck on your quest!

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
In smoking about 80/20 CC/NC because that is what I really enjoy. I love the subtle complexities from Habanos that I don't generally find in NCs. I've also found that I enjoy cigars that are milder in strength, which CCs offer.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I kinda love the this thread after some Cigar maker not long ago was posting that CC's were no longer the King. I agree that there are great NC's out there but my favourites have always been Cuban. I have easy access to both being Canadian and figure I probably smoke 60/40 CC /NC.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I went exclusively CC as a test for 6 months a number of years ago after my first intestinal surgery has kept me from smoking more than one (possibly 2) per week. I don't know if my palette changed other than once I started adding back NC into my diet I was a lot discerning about what I smoked. At present I primarily smoke about 6 NC and 6 CC. Once in awhile I'll try something new (like the Undercrown last weekend). I'll be curious to see if you can go one year exclusive to CC esp. if you are smoking a lot of cigars each day.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I have smoked CCs pretty exclusively for many years now. Not only did I find that I preferred them for flavor profile, but for me they have been a much better value for over a decade and much easier to obtain. Contrived shortages of many favorites such as Padron and AF, were a constant irritation. Places like Holt's and Famous would even limit purchase counts to five sticks per customer driving prices up even further since it was next to impossible to buy full boxes. The prices of my favorite NCs continued to escalate over the years even though I found them to be inferior to most CCs. For example, I absolutely loved the Padron Principe and the AF Hemingway series, but when a box of 25 Principes were running $175 and a cab of 50 PLPCs or Boli PCs could be had for the same price, the writing was on the wall and I never looked back.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I pretty much did this experiment by accident. I haven't smoked an NC for well over a year now. I'm certainly not ruling out smoking them in the future. I have been gifted some and still have quite a collection of NCs (probably 90%cc/10%nc).

I love the passion and enthusiasm people like Pete Johnson and Jonathan Drew are bringing to the NC industry... That being said I think Fox has said it quite well as far as the limits/inability to buy full boxes etc.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I smoke 90/10 CC/NC I have found over the years that the flavors of Cuban cigars are much more pleasing to my palatte. The smoke basiclly just Fuente and Padron when I'm not smoking my cubans. Gavin I can't say I have ever done a year long thing, I slowly worked my way into it with a cigar here and there, then a box here and there. Then I went into it hard and heavy and am currently working on storing and aging long term, So therefore I need to get up to roughly 24 boxes to age and smoke. But enjoy the adventure!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. This not only applies to not judging others, but also to enjoying your own stash. You could try smoking CCs for a while, but why lock yourself in?

I'm just getting more heavily into CCs this year myself, and next year will likely be very predominantly CC smoking and experimenting... but I wouldn't want to cut myself off from a Dirty Rat or Tat Tegios Reserva. There are times when I want that darker experience.

Still, whatever you decide, it'll be fun and you'll be smoking!!