What's new

CC Journey 2014

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I figure I'm still 60/40 CC/nc. Winter time makes me want to revisit heavier NCs. But not all the time. I don't like waking up with ashtray in my mouth. For another reason please revisit my sig line. Good luck on your journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. This not only applies to not judging others, but also to enjoying your own stash. You could try smoking CCs for a while, but why lock yourself in?

I'm just getting more heavily into CCs this year myself, and next year will likely be very predominantly CC smoking and experimenting... but I wouldn't want to cut myself off from a Dirty Rat or Tat Tegios Reserva. There are times when I want that darker experience.

Still, whatever you decide, it'll be fun and you'll be smoking!!
Ive been finding Ligas, Tats, (and sadly) Opus to be unenjoyable over the last few months. There are falling out of my wheelhouse. I was talking about it with a brother the other night. I love(d) CB tats but the worst cigar of the year for me was the new noella.

I figure I'm still 60/40 CC/nc. Winter time makes me want to revisit heavier NCs. But not all the time. I don't like waking up with ashtray in my mouth. For another reason please revisit my sig line. Good luck on your journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo, my mouth not being an ashtray has allowed me to enjoy more sticks and have better flavor; part of the reason I wanted to try it out long term

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Good to hear ! Cc's are and have been the og real deal. Tax free (moonshine) free ship, and awesome old school sizes ? icing the cc cake.
Ultimately, the nose knows !
95/5 for me.

Thanks

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Interesting post...Thanks.

Over the past maybe 5 years, I have been smoking NC almost exclusively because there just seem to be so many great cigars coming from Nic recently.

A few weeks ago, I looked over my CC's and grabbed a well aged Boli BF, and really enjoyed it. The sharp and heavy flavors had really rounded out nicely, and was a well balanced cigar with lots of notes running through it.

I like the idea mentioned in this thread about smoking CC's, and then tossing in an NC for comparison.

Either way, please keep us posted on your adventure :)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I did this in 2013... have not purchased any NC's in a year.... don't think I ever will again. CC just a whole other level.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I considered doing this, and honestly still would. But laziness won out. I have to call my bank for EVERY CC order I make to get it approved, and then pay them a [small] fee. It really shouldn't be a big deal, but kind of ruins the online shopping convenience.

Dumb, I know.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Personally about 6 months ago I was thinking I was going to be a only cc smoker, because almost every NC I had seemed to taste off to me, regardless of brand. But after about 4 months of only cc's I was at a party and I stayed longer/gave a few smokes away and found myself lacking in cc's to smoke and ended up smoking a Tat with a sumatra wrapper and found myself really liking it. So I have branched out and sometimes do like to smoke NC's but as a "side dish" I still mostly smoke CC's now but find myself really loving some more medium bodied CC's and still dream of smoking aged opus x's

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I went largely cc around the same time as Mike. It definitely changes your palate, and I don't find a lot of ncs all that worthwhile. I definitely do not miss the ashtray mouth the next day.

However, although Kevin and Sean give me a hard time every time I post an NC in the now smoking thread, there are some ncs I still appreciate, and it's nice to be able to pick up a stick at the local lounge/cigar shop. I still smoke a fair number of Fuentes at home (5 boxes on hand at the moment, though two are aging), and the occasional Liga or Tat while out and about.

As others have said, smoke what you like, like what you smoke. One of the nicest things about CCs is that it is possible to stop chasing HTFs entirely and still have a wonderful smoking and forum/social experience. You can talk about how recent batches are smoking from cigars that have been on the market for decades until the cows come home. Of course, there are those who still chase HTF Habanos and enjoy that--HSA is always release new stuff and the regional program is fun for that as well.

But my approach has been to explore the few things I love and add occasional boxes of regionals or new releases for spice. I can't think of an NC I would buy four boxes of, but I did go that deep on Monte No. 4s and will be enjoying those aged boxes (and replacing them as I smoke) for years.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I considered doing this, and honestly still would. But laziness won out. I have to call my bank for EVERY CC order I make to get it approved, and then pay them a [small] fee. It really shouldn't be a big deal, but kind of ruins the online shopping convenience.

Dumb, I know.
Did that for two years brother... then I called and asked if I could not do that every time, they said sure haha. the international fee is a pain, but larger purchases make them few and far between. I hear where your coming from tho.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Personally about 6 months ago I was thinking I was going to be a only cc smoker, because almost every NC I had seemed to taste off to me, regardless of brand. But after about 4 months of only cc's I was at a party and I stayed longer/gave a few smokes away and found myself lacking in cc's to smoke and ended up smoking a Tat with a sumatra wrapper and found myself really liking it. So I have branched out and sometimes do like to smoke NC's but as a "side dish" I still mostly smoke CC's now but find myself really loving some more medium bodied CC's and still dream of smoking aged opus x's
Funny you mention as a test I smoked 3-4 HTF higher end aged fuentes in the last few days to see if i was "dazzled" back into the greatness of NC's... but I ended up enjoying the HUHC's I smoked in the morning with my coffee more than the aged Opus or HTF's... weird.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Be clear I take no issue with the original post or the premise that some people prefer CC over NC. Taste (and everything else that makes up cigars) is relative to the end user and subjective. I'm just having trouble understanding why anyone who is a connoissuer (of anything) would limit themselves to one region on the planet when their are amazing products from all over the world. ex. I would never limit myself to just French or Italian wine exclusively, or Scotch while foregoing all other spirits as an example. I've had great CC's and duds just like all other regions. I am decidedly non-argumentative I'm just trying to understand CC only for someone who has no otherwise prohibitive reason (location, taxes, etc.) to smoke only Cubans. I welcome your thoughts and what I'm missing.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Be clear I take no issue with the original post or the premise that some people prefer CC over NC. Taste (and everything else that makes up cigars) is relative to the end user and subjective. I'm just having trouble understanding why anyone who is a connoissuer (of anything) would limit themselves to one region on the planet when their are amazing products from all over the world. ex. I would never limit myself to just French or Italian wine exclusively, or Scotch while foregoing all other spirits as an example. I've had great CC's and duds just like all other regions. I am decidedly non-argumentative I'm just trying to understand CC only for someone who has no otherwise prohibitive reason (location, taxes, etc.) to smoke only Cubans. I welcome your thoughts and what I'm missing.
Understandable brother; I covered a few of them over the course of the post but I'm not doing it to "limit" myself per say. I want to see how my palate changes overtime (1 year) if at all with just CC's. I smoke about a 50/50 split but find myself with a "burned" palate on NC's sometimes causing me not to enjoy other smokes as much. After a few days off CC's (too me; but cigars in general as well) taste better with a "fresher" palate. This year there was a plugged "study" to see if CC's are as plugged as everyone says they are, and it found that there was 9so far) basically no difference between CC's and NC's in that regard. This is my way of testing if CC's are really THAT much better; so far in the years that I have smoked I've found them too be good, but not VASTLY better than NC's. Im interested to see if I get bored with CC's or if my tastes and palate change and I appreciate the stubble qualities of the tobacco more than I did before with NC power-bombs. But the only way to do it is too give it an adequate amount of time for tastes to change, opinions to be made, etc. a year seemed like just enough time, not too much, not to little.

Hope it answers your question

Rating - 100%
74   0   0

Dumb, I know.
Interesting... I just got my bank to whitelist a few vendors after they denied a few transactions.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0

Dumb, I know.
Interesting... I just got my bank to whitelist a few vendors after they denied a few transactions.
I'll have to see if they can do that. I can't imagine why they wouldn't be able to.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Best wishes in your "experiment." I have been bitten by the CC bug as well and found that while I thought I preferred more flavor bomb sticks like Ligas and Tats I'm constantly reaching for a habano. At first I wondered if it was the novelty, but after the past few months being almost exclusively CC I feel like the novelty of "the forbidden" isn't applying in my case. It's really about the taste and the fact that I don't feel like I'm sweating nicotine afterwards.

Sent from my mind using telekinesis and Tapatalk.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will say, some of my friends crave the high octane power NCs. They want something that's going to knock their shoes off.

I like that occasionally, but I also am drawn to stuff that's more relaxing.