What's new

CC Robusto

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey all,
I have seen similar threads on here but they are either (a) likely outdated or (b) don’t focus specifically on the robusto. I’ve been wanting to branch out and discover more CC robustos, or similarly sized sticks, and always love skimming through the CC of the day thread, but I really like to read more detailed thoughts.

1. What are your top CC robustos, or similar sized sticks?
2. Assuming that most will become better with age, are your suggestions good when they’re young or are they a little harsh?
3. Are they spicy, cedar, nice peppery kick? Or more cocoa, honey, graham cracker, creamy texture? Some combination?

Have fun, and I look forward to reading!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all,
I have seen similar threads on here but they are either (a) likely outdated or (b) don’t focus specifically on the robusto. I’ve been wanting to branch out and discover more CC robustos, or similarly sized sticks, and always love skimming through the CC of the day thread, but I really like to read more detailed thoughts.

2. Assuming that most will become better with age, are your suggestions good when they’re young or are they a little harsh?
3. Are they spicy, cedar, nice peppery kick? Or more cocoa, honey, graham cracker, creamy texture? Some combination?

Just commenting to follow this thread because I’m also interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
The better robustos are all ok fresh, have a little bit of an edge, and calm down over time.

Cohiba Robustos are some of the best. Pepper, caramel, cedar, Graham cracker, and what I'd describe as a thin creaminess. The edges wear off and it smooths out.

H Upmann Connie 1 is also a favorite. Caramel, bread, peanuts, cedar, cream. For half the cost of a CORO, it's probably the best bang for buck. Or was, pre-price-craze.

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No2 is third on my list. Cream, oak, honey, pepper, and some sweetness in there too. The pepper dies down a little and the more rich cream morphs into more of a thinner sweet cream over time.

PSD4 is, ironically, 4th. But like, it's super close between all of them. Cedar, paprika, red pepper spice... nuts, caramel in the background. It calms down a little over time but doesn't actually change much.

I actually find all good right away but after a year or two they tend to find their stride. But that also varies year by year.

YMMV. To be honest, all of these are amazing, but I'm not sure any of them are really worth post-COVID prices. There are so many new world cigars that are just phenomenal these days, and with available sales and bargain sites, a cigar that's 90% as good at half the price is a no brainer - I've basically quit buying CCs and shifted to NCs over the past year.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I haven’t smoked many Cubans. I don’t buy them too often. I will say the hoyo epicure was a touch “light” for my personal taste. I did really dig the monte epicure. Seems like a completely different cigar vs the #2 (which is a touch too light for me). I have a single cohiba robusto but haven’t had one yet. Kinda saving it I guess.

I do want to explore the bolivars and go a little deeper into the partagas. I dig the few different partagas I’ve tried. Guess due to my personal experience those are what I’d recommend

the onlyreason I’d like to explore bolivar is I’ve heard they’re a bit more full bodied

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The Boli RC comes up a lot. It is one I like, and I only have two from a split I did 2 years ago. I got ten of those, but gave a few to friends and smoked a few that Summer. I wish I’d held on to them longer, haha. The two I have left, I’m clinging to until my 40th birthday this Summer! I think I’m gonna herf various delicacies every day of that week. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I love CORO's did I say I love CORO's - Young they have a citrus, Hay and a touch of Vanilla!!! After 10 years the Vanilla comes to be the main flavor (Just so damn expensive)

RASS from a 50 Cab - Cocoa, leather and dried fruit. After 10 years you start getting stewed fruit that is amazing!!!

Bolivar Royal Corona - Earth, Cocoa and dark chocolate. After 10 years lots of Earth and Cocoa!!!

Por Larrañaga Picadores - Caramel, Toffee, Coffee with Cream. After 10 years Caramel Caramel Caramel!!!

PSD4 - Spice, Tosted Nuts, Allspice!!! After 10 years lots more Allspice and with a creamy texture that coats you palate!!!

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No2 - Cocoa powder, Almonds and Baked goods. After 10 years lots of Cocoa turning into Chocolate!!!

I could go on Robustos and my go to, I tend to smoke 2 a night!!!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I forgot all about Boli RCs! Definitely would make top 5. Dark chocolate and earth and spice. So, so good.

ERDM Choix are another favorite, but kinda hard to come by these days. They're more on the lighter side of things, honey and bread, with some spices.

Por Larranaga Picadores have been hit or miss for me. Only two boxes so far but one was amazing, all rich caramel and Graham cracker, and the other was a little flat.

Vegas Robaina are also good. I've smoked the least of these and honestly can't remember the tasting notes, butI remember them being enjoyable.

I'm probably the only man on the planet who does not recommend RASS. To me, RASS taste like a Fuente Anejo wrapped in a Cuban wrapper, and I don't mean that as a complement - though I can see why it appeals to others.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with a lot on this thread but I've always had good luck with the RyJ Short Churchill. Was only able to get the 3x5 tubos recently instead of the 25 dress box, glad I did, smoked one last night.

RA SS is my go to, as is the Serie D #4, it's just that the D4 needs a lot of time, 10 years minimum. I have a few MUL DIC 13 that are a month away from being 2014 - these were the only D4s I've ever had that were great at purchase time (June and Sept 2014).

Tip of the hat to the Royal Coronas too.

I've had bad luck my whole life with the CORO. I just never seem to get a good box (not that I bought that many over the years, too many other robusto choices at a fraction of the cost).

BoneYard

Spent loot on Scotch,Women&Cigars -rest I wasted.
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hey all,

1. VR famosos rise to one of my favorite robustos. JL#2 and Upmann #1 are great when they are on.
2.that’s a big assumption. Might have been true 20 years ago, or even perhaps 10, but i don’t believe they do any longer. I’ve smoked well over 100 boxes with less than 2 years of age over the last decade. I have aged 100s of boxes past the 5 year mark. Sometimes they get better. Sometimes not. It’s about 50/50.

Rule of thumb should be smoke them when they taste good, disregard age altogether, and don’t do what I did so many times ie. “ wow! These are awesome, I’m going to bury them for 5 years.” - that almost never works. I’ve had crap tasting cigars turn around beautifully After 5 years though.