What's new

Cedar Chest conversion ??????

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I've been eyeing my Wife's Lane cedar chest, with the idea of converting it to a humidor. She shot me down in flames last night when I asked her if I could. She did say i could get my own and do whatever I wanted with that. So I checked out craigslist and found multiple listings, with reasonable prices.

These chest are not going to be made of Spanish Cedar, but rather the aromatic cedar used to repell moths. Right? How do I convert this to work for my uses? Do I need to completely line and seal the interior with spanish cedar? I know there is not going to be a great seal on a 50 year old chest that was not made for this purpose. So can I just use weather stripping for the seal or do I have to creat a humidor type ridge like we all have on our desktops?

I want to make sure this is with in my skill set befor I spend the $$$. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Yes, take the aeromatic cedar out of the chest. I've done this to several chests for friends and it's worked well. You still need to let the chest air out as the aeromatic cedar was also touching the wood panels that make up the chest. Lining it with visqueen or plastic is not a bad idea either. You can use spanish cedar plywood (which you can get online) or hardwood, or even use Luan which can be found at most local home improvement stores.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Good advice. You must take the aromatic cedar out. Then essentially you have a big box.