What's new

Celebratory Box Suggestion

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Hey brothers,

After taking a break from cigars for one reason or another, I've started to get back into it and have been poking around the forum/websites again. I came to realize that I'm clueless. My knowledge of the market ended in '09ish.
While I don't know the majority of you, I'm sure we will come to know one another.
Recently there was a post about saving sticks for a special occasion, and StogieNinja mentioned that he has a box of cigars that he smokes yearly on his anniversary and another couple for the birth month of his kiddos.
This struck me as a neat concept, so I ran it by my fiance. To my surprise, she also thought it was a good idea and told me to move forward on finding a box to do that with.

So can you throw me some ideas of boxes that might fit the bill?
As this is supposed to be a celebratory cigar, I have a budget in mind, but I'd rather not spend $400+ for a Davidof.

Thanks in advance

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Hey brothers,

After taking a break from cigars for one reason or another, I've started to get back into it and have been poking around the forum/websites again. I came to realize that I'm clueless. My knowledge of the market ended in '09ish.
While I don't know the majority of you, I'm sure we will come to know one another.
Recently there was a post about saving sticks for a special occasion, and StogieNinja mentioned that he has a box of cigars that he smokes yearly on his anniversary and another couple for the birth month of his kiddos.
This struck me as a neat concept, so I ran it by my fiance. To my surprise, she also thought it was a good idea and told me to move forward on finding a box to do that with.

As this is supposed to be a celebratory cigar, I have a budget in mind, but I'd rather not spend $400+ for a Davidof.

Thanks in advance
What did you used to enjoy, back when you were into cigars before?
As a general rule, if it's something you plan on aging for years, CCs tend to be what most people recommend. If you can't do CCs, then I'd say something pretty full flavored, because they'll mellow over time.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
What did you used to enjoy, back when you were into cigars before?
As a general rule, if it's something you plan on aging for years, CCs tend to be what most people recommend. If you can't do CCs, then I'd say something pretty full flavored, because they'll mellow over time.
As I remember, CC are a known risk that I'm not sure that l want to take. So I think I'm looking for NCs.

For the honeymoon, we're looking at the DR so maybe I'll look at picking up a little something something while we're there.

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
As I remember, CC are a known risk that I'm not sure that l want to take. So I think I'm looking for NCs.

For the honeymoon, we're looking at the DR so maybe I'll look at picking up a little something something while we're there.
You’re allowed to bring back CC’s now as long as they are for personal when traveling to international destinations other than Cuba. Grab a nice box on your honeymoon from a Habanos dealer only though, many fakes sold in DR.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As apesmokes mentioned if you are looking to put away NCs for 15+ years you should probably start with something pretty full. As far as a recommendation I would look at a box of Padron's.

Just remember to have your humidors setup and stable before committing anything to long term storage.

I think if you look through some of the site's vendors and maybe your old posts, if they are still available, you'll be reminded of brands from your past that you enjoyed. Good hunting and welcome back.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

Won't say you shouldn't, but... You probably shouldn't, other than perhaps a few custom rolls just for fun. Other people have more experience, so I'll let them chime in.
For NCs that you want to keep for years and are good for celebrations, I'd say look into Opus, or Padron Anniversary. Both are a little pricey, but seem to keep well.
Without knowing what you like, can't recommend much more. I personally am not a fan of either, but most people like them and many have aged them, so it's a safe option.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Won't say you shouldn't, but... You probably shouldn't, other than perhaps a few custom rolls just for fun. Other people have more experience, so I'll let them chime in.
For NCs that you want to keep for years and are good for celebrations, I'd say look into Opus, or Padron Anniversary. Both are a little pricey, but seem to keep well.
Without knowing what you like, can't recommend much more. I personally am not a fan of either, but most people like them and many have aged them, so it's a safe option.
This is the kind of advice I was looking for.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
NC will age out / mellow on you over time so I'd say full body as well. In fact, I'd say, go Nicaraguan.

Because it's celebratory, I would also say go with Padron 1926 or 1964. Smoke some now to find which ones you like today (also take into consideration the natural vs. maduro wrapper) and then buy a box of them.

I also love this idea and wish that @StogieNinja would have told us this BEFORE I was married or before I had kids, or before I met @manbearpig in that cabin in the woods...

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
NC will age out / mellow on you over time so I'd say full body as well. In fact, I'd say, go Nicaraguan.

Because it's celebratory, I would also say go with Padron 1926 or 1964. Smoke some now to find which ones you like today (also take into consideration the natural vs. maduro wrapper) and then buy a box of them.

I also love this idea and wish that @StogieNinja would have told us this BEFORE I was married or before I had kids, or before I met @manbearpig in that cabin in the woods...
Yeah, it is a great idea. Wish I'd have thought of it, but been married long enough now that I'd be on my second box.
Don't expect to make it another 20; She'll kill me and bury my body in the desert long before then. (We've agreed to this method of conflict resolution)

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Hey brothers,

Thanks in advance
Caveat, I'm no expert, as a couple people will point out with relish.... ;)
But if you like cc's, you have a much better chance of getting a good box now than say a couple years ago.