What's new

Cello on or off?

J

jckposter

Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I take it off when I smoke them.....Have some 94 RJy coronas that its on and they are to die for...

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
jckposter said:
I take it off when I smoke them.....Have some 94 RJy coronas that its on and they are to die for...
:shock: 94 RyJ Coronas.... daaayyyuuummmm

Mmmmmm Hella Yellow Cello

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I used to take mine off as well, but I leave them on now. I think they age just as well and the cello adds that extra bit of protection for the wrappers, especially when those last few from the box wind up in the singles storage.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wasn't it Jefslat that said that if you take the cello's off your cigars will reproduce? I've taken all my cello off in the hopes that mine will multiply, but no such luck yet!

Andrew

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I guess it depends.

For one thing, cello helps protect against changes in humidity, it also obviously helps protect the wrapper.

For long term aging, i can see removing it, but don't you love to see the lovely yellow cello just as much as i?

For now, i'm sending more out than i'm smoking, so i leave the cello on...
for the first two reasons i stated above. Mailing in December/January is not the kindest conditions to subject a cigar to. Plus i can be a little less carefull about rummaging thru the humidor, when the sticks are somewhat protected.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are we talking long or short term? The less air getting to the cigar.. the better long term ageing.. short term.. the more air getting to the cigar, the faster ageing.. but not as good result as with the long term age...

Similar to a good bottle of red wine.. decanter a young red and expose it to air and it will get rid of the unpleasant harch tannins and gasses (the wine will breath).. mature it in the botlle for a few years will do the same thing but will allow other flavour nuances to develop in harmony... same goes for cigars..

If you only talking a year or so.. cello off.. of you talking aging 2-5+ years.. definitely cello on...

Just my 2 cents though...

The other benefit is protection if you have clumsy fingers when diggin in your humi.... protects from damaging the wrapper (I don't need to take this into account myself... I am not clumsy ha ha)

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If its on there when I buy themI leave it on. I'm yet to take it off for storage.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Texas Cop said:
Wasn't it Jefslat that said that if you take the cello's off your cigars will reproduce? I've taken all my cello off in the hopes that mine will multiply, but no such luck yet!

Andrew
Same here! :evil: I want my money back for that advice...wait...didn't pay anything for it...Damn! :lol:

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Gonz,

Pretty much nailed it for me as well.

My plans for laying down several boxes of Specials, got derailed this year, But I'm still optimistic for the future!

I too, love a Crispy Yellow Cello. I was in a Smoke Shop up here, when I first started smoking and the Dealer was mainly a Cigarrette seller. He had a Glass cabinet Humi with 30 boxes or so. He said, He had not bought cigars in two Years. I found a box of 5 yr old Padrons (no cello). Plus a partial box of Henry Clay Obelisk's with Yellowed Crinkly Cello on them. I was thrilled and the guy gave them both to me at Half price to get rid of them. They both were very good NC's,but those Yellowed Cello'd wrappers Just Scream at Ya....MMMmmmm!
Yellow Cello is good!

Slack 8)

Pulse

Bite me!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If it comes in cello, it stays in cello until it's time to lite that bi*ch and smoke it.... 8)

Pulse

Bite me!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
RiverRat said:
What Pulse said in italics. :D

--------

RiverRat..who hates torn wrappers.

Hey! No makin' fun of my italics....nnnnnewbie! :smt075 ....hehehe :smt043