What's new

cera-cut PIF

shatfield

Toast? Nope, Burnt!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Todd,
Got the cutter (and the cutting material :) ) Paul and I are supposed to get together either tomorrow or Thursday, so it will go out Friday morning to Slammer. I'll post my opinion as soon as I get a chance to try it out.

shatfield

Toast? Nope, Burnt!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Paul and I are going to see Uncle Mikey tonight for a smoke and will get his opinion, too. I'll have it out first thing tomorrow. Slammer, I think you should have it Monday!

shatfield

Toast? Nope, Burnt!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
OK, here we go...
My first impressions were that this was a great looking cutter. I love the design, it fit really well in my hand, has a nifty little thumb release. I would have liked to see it made out of rubber or something a little more sturdy than the plastic.

As for the cutting, I was extremely disappointed. The blade was sharp (not as sharp as my metal cutters), although thin and very delicate looking. I know ceramic is very hard, but it is very brittle, too, so I would be affraid I'd break it.

The blade had a lot of side-to-side play and would cut the cigar at a slight angle if you weren't very careful. Also, when the blade was all the way through the cigar, it would jam shut. The cap that you just cut off gets stuck and the thumb release was worthless- you had to get in there with your fingers and pull the blade open again.

I would not buy this cutter as it is now. I think with a little improvement, it could become a great cutter.

Since Uncle Mikey doesn't post here, I'll post what he said about it.
When I was sitting in his office playing with it, he asked me "what the hell is that? That's great looking" I told him what it was and he immediately grabbed it and sliced through a few sticks sitting on his desk. The first cut was terrible, the second few got better, but weren't straight because of the play. Although he had a little more luck with it than I did, our conclusions were pretty much the same.

OK cutter, but nothing special besides the aesthetics.

shatfield

Toast? Nope, Burnt!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
This is weird. That thing worked like a champ for me. Maybe I was just lucky or something.
You're just special, that's all. ;-)

Slammer- coming your way- 0703 8555 7490 7762 6975

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Dang, was hoping for a concensus to tell me I was just a dope that didn't know how to use the thing! LOL

I had the same experience with it getting better as you kept cutting if you took one cigar and sliced it up bit by bit, but that first cut (the one that would really matter if you were truly smoking it) was always the one that gave me fits. Did you have a problem with it tearing the wrapper or was it just not cutting straight for you?

I also noted the cap getting stuck. You would have to pull back on the thumb stud and then with the other hand pull back the actuall cutter to get it to release...

shatfield

Toast? Nope, Burnt!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Did you have a problem with it tearing the wrapper or was it just not cutting straight for you?
Actually, forgot to mention that. It did when it got to the last bit of the cap.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this is quite interesting......

I had purchased one at the same time the PIF started so we could get more "testing" done. My original post was lost in the great server crash of 2005 but in general the cutter worked quite well for me. In fact it is the one I have sitting on my home office desk for the evening smokes.

The one thing I did notice, as did Sam, was that you have to pay attention to the orientation of the cutter to cigar otherwise you would end up with an angled cut. But I guess that could be with most any cutter.

hhmmmmmmmm........

Brian

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
First thought on this cutter is that it is very light almost too light I like my cutters to have a little weight to them I think that it would definitely benefit from a rubber coating or a different type of plastic. I also wish the blade was a little heavier but having worked with ceramics in the past I know that what is there is more that sufficient and will never dull.

As far as cutting goes this thing cuts like a champ. I cut the caps off of 4 sticks all of different sizes and I had no problems with tearing or uneven cuts. The cut was smooth and relatively effortless. I did encounter a problem on the smaller gauge cigars where the cap became stuck between the body and the plastic housing but it cleared when I released the blade so it was no big deal as it was nothing that I haven’t encountered on single blade cutters before.

All in all this was not a bad cutter just not my cup of tea. My cutters get used and abused this one seems a little too fragile for me. If your looking for a cutter to use just at home then this may be the one for you as for me I am going to stick with my Palio and $6.00 2 bladers.

Jason I will get this out to you today and will post the DC# this afternoon. Enjoy!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Thanks to all for reviewing. This was kind of fun! LOL Might have to find another accessory to have everyone review.

Looks like the overall rating on this baby would be a toss up. I'll be giving it another try thanks to you folks being kind enough to send it back my way. However, if I can't get it to work, don't be surprised if one of you ends up with a box that ticks here pretty soon. :twisted:

Matt, if you are reading this, I'd put her back on the board. If my counting works it was 3 positives and two negatives as to functionality. Seems everyone would prefer a different casing, but that would probably also affect pricing.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Cutter and smokes received. Thanks so much Slammer! I'll let everyone know if I'm still having the same issues with the cutter.