What's new

Ceramic Blade Cigar Cutter

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience using ceramic blade cigar cutters? I know ceramic knives work well in the kitchen, but wondering whether the same applies to cigar cutters.

Would be interested to know your experiences with them and/or any good brands you may have come across.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I've never used any but I have heard good things about the little havana cigar cutters.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I thought that getting a ceramic cutter would be cool as hell, It's to bad it cuts like crap. Ceramic, great idea, not so hot on the engineering of the cutters design though. Be awesome if xikar came out with ceramic. I love xikar!!

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
AHHHH!!! I have one of those, It tears the hell out of every cigar I have ever cut with them. Save your cash, Spend it on a Xikar!
AMEN!!! There was a thread on another board about these when they were available for a group purchase a year or two ago. Some people had good experience, but most (including yours truly) thought they sucked. As Donk said, they tear the cigar on every cut. Based on the low cost, my guess is that the reason for the problem, as well as for the varying opinions, is poor quality control. You MIGHT get a good one, but it's a crapshoot, IMO.

If you're asking for advice, don't do it. Buy a Palio. Or a Xikar. Or a SAK.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Just got a Tatuaje cutter that limits the amoount of crown of the cigar you can cut. They are about $11. It works pretty damn good. Cuban Crafters makes one similar.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is the SAk reallt that good? Better than Xikar's cut?
I think Palios, Xikars and SAK's all cut equally well. To me, the biggest difference is in the feel and "action." Personally, I find Xikars uncomfortable to use and bulky, and I could never get used to the feel of scissors. But that's just me, and what I don't like may be desirable features to others.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I've used both a Palio and Xikar, both work great, but I think the Palio is more comfortable to use.
I agree, I use the Palio when out and about. At home I use Donatus sissors cause they are wicked sharp and provide a cleaner cut. My Xikar just sits on the shelf, I don't think I've used in a year or more.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I've used both and find myself gravitating toward the Xikar most often. I recently misplaced my Xi cutter and carried my palio around for a couple of weeks. Then, miraculously, I found my Xi and it was like being reunited with an old friend! They both cut equally well for my, I just happen to like the heft of the Xikar better.